Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy too much for youth quad???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield McCoy too much for youth quad???

Dodgepower - Are they still jumping the Boeing 727 down there? I did that in 94. Way cool. Looked like half the town turned out to rescue those who landed off airport. Great place!

Old 05-13-2003, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info guys. I guess he will have to wait a few years for the trip.

Old 05-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

from what i know and seen they hauled him down to the ranger station then lifted him from there

Old 05-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Quadcrew
QuadMXer - Didn't mean to scare you off, but I would've been P'od had someone told me it was ok for my child. The H/M system is absolutely awesome, you should definately go sometime. You ride the trails yourself and then make the decision as to whether your daughter is capable of that kind of ride. Personally - ours is definately NOT. Hubby and I LOVE riding there, it is a trip that we enjoy taking with out the off spring! We may be looking at riding at Waterways next week - we're going down for a few days, and he wants to turn the Prairie loose!

QUADMXer, I like to ride with my kids everytime possible. My son is 16 and daughter is 13. These are the precious moments in our lives and I like it that we all can do something togather as a family. Like quadcrew posted, ride the trail yourself. Only YOU know the limitations of your child. If you take him there and try to blaze the trail with them you will find it more stressful as you try to judge whether or not the terrain exceeds their skill and watch him at the same time. Believe me I am speaking from expreince here. I made that mistake and had to sit there and watch my son get pancaked by his quad. It was a fathers worst nightmare. Luckily he was ok with only minor scrapes but it has since changed his love for riding. Take the time and ride the trails yourself first. Then after you know the terrain and you decide to go,you will have a better time, I promise you.

Old 05-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

braff,

Thanks to both you and Quadcrew for bringing up a subject that I don't think gets enough attention.

Advance scouting for younger riders is a MUST; not an option. I think your experience and your son's feelings afterwards should speak volumes for those heading into ANY unfamiliar terrain.

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell your story as I believe it just may have made some parents out there reconsider what can happen when kids get in over their head.

John

Old 07-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Range Rover

Check out the Little Coal River System with kids. It is the overall easist. If they can handle it, might want to move up in difficulty. Keep them off the black trail for sure. They are the most difficult.