Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Spokane Washington- N.Idaho- W.Montana riders lets get together here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spokane Washington- N.Idaho- W.Montana riders lets get together here!

Man I just gotta say, I love this thread. Better than anything on TV or on the radio! You guys kill me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

So who's camping this weekend? A lot of club members will be up Shoshone Creek just before Berlin Flats. Rockwoman and I will be up at Independence Creek near Magee with some other friends and club members. The weatherman says it's going to be wet this weekend, but I'll take some rain over dust anytime. Woo hoo ridin, ridin, ridin!

Old 05-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Something I thought was both funny and ironic...I was at a Polaris dealer before my decision to go with a Bomb. The salesman had me walk around back with him to check availability (for a 760 EFI), as we were walking back to the showroom he stops, right by the service dept. and with his back to the service dept. (I am facing the service dept.) starts telling me how great these bikes are...well...I am looking over him...to these rows and rows of broken down Polaris bikes...I was scanning the crowd for some 760's...and yep, sure enough there were at least 2 maybe more waiting to be repaired. I have never seen SO MANY bikes lined up for repair in all my life...it looked like a walk through you-pull-it...I'm serious the place was littered with broken bikes. Luckily and wisely..................................
I bought the Bomb. Friends don't let friends..................buy Polaris.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Range Rover

Hmmm, looks like the Duramax is actually the class leader now as well.

http://www.autospectator.com/modules...p?storyid=1688

Old 05-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Niskibum
800TwinEFI, rest assured this isn't the only thing I question about your post, but it is one of the most obvious. You burn 1500lbs of wood a week!? Where the heck do you live, the Superdome? Good God man, buy some insulation for your house!

Oh yeah, your 55hp 800 (cough 760 cough cough) will run out of oomph long before a 62hp 800 (cough real 800 cough cough) Bomb will. Since we are being factual and all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Hehhe...point taken. Interestingly, a cord of north american softwood (IE red fir or pine or tamarack) weighs between 3500 and 5500 lbs. 3500 if well seasoned (I am seldom that lucky) and 5500 if real green (I am not that unlucky). So lets say 4000 lbs for a cord. I go through about a cord a month. I use wood as my sole source of heat. So 1000 lbs a week roughly. That puts me @ 500 lbs shy of my towing capacity. Just using a real life example is all. Most bikes will take on 1000 lbs no problem. But I think most people here would think you would never need to. And maybe most people don't. But I do. Imagine carrying 1000 lbs of wood up and down 15-20 yards (up hill at that). And then doing it every week. In lousy weather. I'm far too lazy for that frankly.

And in regards to hp, I think the bomb will indeed out perform Polaris in speed. However, it is worth mentioning that hp alone does not translate to torque. If that were the case you could pull a house with a Porsche right? Which of course you can't.

I want to make sure I'm clear that I am not saying I think the Bomb is a bad machine. I don't. I would like to have one frankly. I really would. It was something I thought about. And had it not been for the financing, most likely would have done. But I will be happy to argue with anybody that says the Polaris does not perform all day long because that is just pure bull hockey and I have no problem calling people on it (no offense intended). I don't know why...but some folks have to try and say something doesn't perform in order to try and show what they bought did. And I love to take these folks to task. I just hope I don't bore everybody here in the process. I agree with what was stated prior more than anything:

1. Most important thing is to have fun
2. Different riders == different performance
3. Different needs == different machines

And lastly, which is of benefit to us all, with the resale value of all our bikes...regardless of brand, none of this really matters. Because if a person wants to sell their machine to try something else, it can easily be done without getting hurt much.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.autospectator.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1688
I stand corrected. Fair enough [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If you watch this sort of thing it changes constantly. And honestly, at these levels I don't think it matters. But point taken.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: JayDeeCoy

Not sure how much technique has to do with it. Sorry. I don't think those big Polaris' sink like rocks just because of the rider not using proper technique, they just aren't good snow vehicles.

[quote]

Ahh grasshopper........you have much to learn. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, Rockman, this thread is amusing! Here's something you boys will need sooner or later...

Perhaps for seeing how deep the sh!* is in here....or perhaps for something else

Then when you're done, maybe we can all go for a ride...

Old 05-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kavuday
Yeah, Rockman, this thread is amusing! Here's something you boys will need sooner or later...

Perhaps for seeing how deep the sh!* is in here....or perhaps for something else

Then when you're done, maybe we can all go for a ride...
Another point taken. And a good one. So I'll give it a rest.

How many of you carry a chainsaw when you go riding? Last weekend I came across some serious trees that had fallen in the middle of some of the trails I was on. There was no way over them and we had to go around...which would have been fine but we were facing a rather steep hill coming back up on the other side of the tree. Almost had a buddy roll his bike on top of him. I have been away from the sport for a while...so I don't recall if this sort of thing is to be expected at this time of year. We ran into this a few times. Thought it might be handy.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have ridden the Laird Park area for the last two weekends and taken a saw along both times, Let's just that the old Poulan got a work out. We ran into what I believe to be a forest service trail planner and he seemed appreciative that we where clearing trails. I've never worked so hard to have fun!

Old 05-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 800TwinEFI

http://www.autospectator.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1688
I stand corrected. Fair enough [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If you watch this sort of thing it changes constantly. And honestly, at these levels I don't think it matters. But point taken.

You know what really makes me laugh is the truck commercials where they say "more hp than chevy, more torque than ford, more towing capcity than dodge, more payload than toyota". So what you are say is that we took the worst specs from each manufacturer and beat them. Not that we are the best in anything, but we don't suck as bad as at least one other truck in each catagory. I wonder how many people buy all that bs.

In case anyone is interested I found a partial list of hp and tq ratings for a lot of the new quads.

Arctic Cat (suzuki engines, except the kawi-powered V2, and arctic cat's own H1):
500: (2003 and up have slightly detuned Vinson engine): 32hp @7000rpm, 34 lb-ft torque at 3500rpm (pre-03 had 28/30.5)
300: 14hp
650 V2: (close to prarie 650)
454 Bearcat: 28hp

Bombardier (Rotax engines):
Outty 800: 62hp @ ? rpm, 52tq @ 5500rpm
Quest 650: 42hp
Outty 400: 28hp
DS 650: 49hp

Honda:
Rincon 650: 39hp
Foreman 450: 24hp
TRX 300: 16hp
Rancher 350: 19hp
400EX: 27hp
300EX: 21hp
TRX450R: 42hp (questionable)

Kawaski:
BF750: 51hp
Prarie 700: 46hp
Prarie 650: 42hp
V-Force 700: 51hp

Polaris:
SP700: 45hp
SP500: 32hp
SP500 HO: 37hp (same as scrambler 500)
SP800: 55hp/50tq
400 (2-stroke): 35hp
SP335: 22hp
425 Magnum: 27hp

Suzuki:
KQ700: 49hp
KQ300: 14hp
LT500: 53hp
Eiger 400: 24hp
Vinson 500: 34hp

Yamaha:
Grizz 660: 42hp/35tq
Warrior/Wolverine 350: 19hp/19tq
Raptor 660: 43hp
Kodiak 400: 21hp
Big Bear 350: 18hp
Grizzly 600: 37hp
Banshee 350: 39hp
YZF 450: 39hp

I always take some kind of saw with me, but I am too cheap to spring for the carrier for a chainsaw. I think they are way overpriced. One of these days I'll get around to making my own. Sure would suck getting stuck behind a big tree after a storm.

Come on now Kavuday, some of us have to work Mon thru Fri. Gotta let us have some fun razzin each other till we can do it in person on the weekends.

Quick Reply: Spokane Washington- N.Idaho- W.Montana riders lets get together here!