Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior jetting: Do you need to change the needle and idle jet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 12:27 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior jetting: Do you need to change the needle and idle jet?

Yesterday my buddies and I changed out the stock main jet for a new 148 on my 03 Warrior (had recently added white bros pipe and K&N air filter with a modified airbox lid). The jet kit I bought (www.dynojet.com) came with an assortment of main jets, an adjustable needle and good instructions on what jet to use for the application but it made no mention of idle jets.

I admit that my buddies did most the work as they are more of the mechanic type than me so maybe I'm missing something (like maybe the Warrior doesn't use idle jets <shrug&gt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. Additionally we were unable to install the new adjustable needle because we couldn't get the stock needle out without stripping a super soft brass factory screw that apparently had roots an oak tree would be envious of. So we just decided to go the safe route and leave the stock needle in and just be happy with the bigger main jet.

Well after it was all back together the first thing I noticed is that while sitting in neutral at an idle, if I slammed the throttle the engine died. I let it warm up a bit more just idling and then took it out for a ride... it ran perfect the response was extremely quick and I was very happy, especially since we hadn't even adjusted the mixture. It appeared to be running great... we decided not to touch the mixture and leave it as is but the problem with the engine missing or stopping altogether while sitting is still there which is why Im posting here. Is this a product of the stock needle with the bigger jet? or an idle jet issue? Or is it an indication the mixture is off even though it runs like a champ when actually being ridden. Thats the puzzling part... why would it die while sitting in neutral at almost wide open throttle when it doesn't miss a beat at WOT while being ridden?

P.S. - While we had the carb apart I switched out the stock accelerator pump spring with one from a click type ink pen... I had read about that on this board and was amazed that it was the exact size while being countless times stronger. Hopefully that will save some future problems from happening. So one of the things I've learned from this whole thing is that big companies manage to skimp on quality on lots of little things including screws and springs =)