Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

prairie vs grizzly vs artic cat

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prairie vs grizzly vs artic cat

I got to ride a prairie over the weekend and got to see it go in the woods and on the road and i like it alot. I am going to put a 4x4 next to my VForce in the garage.

Why would i choose one over the other and what are any known trouble spots with them.

I have the VForce for speed now i want something for mud and snow

By the way that prairie is fast I would say it is as fast as the kfx 400, when i was on my brothers 400 I had to give it all it had to keep up on the road. me and my brother were shocked to see it run so fast.

Old 07-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Can't go wrong with either one...that new AC looks impressive with the V-twin. Get something with IRS, you won't be sorry......

Old 07-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own both a Grizzly and a Prairie 650. Prairie is a great ride when it's working, but it doesn't work all that well most of the time. If you take it somewhere be sure you're within help; you may need it.

I've never had any terrain that the Grizzly couldn't navigate and the Grizzly has never quit on me (especially out in nowhere). Both have all the power you would want unless you're really trying to push the envelope, (they're already little more than massive engines on 4 wheels). If you want to go for a ride on a rocket, sign up with NASA. These 4 wheelers are pretty hot as they come out of the box.

I couldn't tell you much about an Artic Cat. My friends have a few of them but they all have them parked as "backup" rigs these days. After you ride either a Grizzly or a Prairie, I could see why it would be hard to get back on the Cat's I'm familiar with.

Old 07-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

maybe put an IRS on the Prairie and make it less ugly, then I may like it. I hear good about the Vtwin, but man, once you go IRS, you never go back straight [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2003, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

The prairie is fast, has lockers, has an override in reverse and has a straight axle.

The grizzly is one tenth of a second slower than a prairie...(so it's also fast), has lockers, and doesn't have an override in reverse, and has the irs.

The artic cat doesn't even hold a flame to these to quads (Yet).... they are finally gonna get a good motor and some extra's (override in reverse, lockers, etc.)

When i went quad shoping i rode a 700 and 600 polaris, grizzly, prairie, and i looked at a honda rincon. I hated irs... that's just my opinion so don't anyone bite my head off [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i also didn't like the idea of not having a reverse override. Another thing that made me feel uneasy was the grizzly was kinda top heavy and felt like it wanted to flip over in the high speed turns.

The ride on the irs machines was much smoother but i just don't like them cuz there is a lot more stuff you can break or that can go out.

My advise would be......shop around and ride all the quads your interested in, then make your decision.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2003, 04:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wait for the Arctic Cat. The Prairie has the engine nod over the Grizzly in my opinion, and the Arctic Cat has the frame nod over both in my opinion. Its a good blend of the best qualities of both quads. Looks like it should be ATV of the year if a sport doesn't get it this time around.