Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help with GYT-R clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with GYT-R clutch kit

I just put my new clutch in I am pretty sure everything is adjusted right but when i put it in gear with the clutch pulled in it starts to move and I can't figure out whats wrong.

Old 07-13-2003, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

I can almost guarantee you put one of the smaller fibers in the wrong place. When you pulled the clutch out of the package...one finger on each clutch fiber is either green or blue. If I remember correctly the blue fibers are the larger and the green ones are the smaller ones. There should be 2 smaller fibers(green). One of the smaller fibers goes on the outside, right behind the pressure plate. The other one is the second fiber from the back.
It should go large fiber, plate, cushion spring, small fiber, plate and so on until you get to the very last fiber. The very last one that goes on is a small fiber.
In case you didnt know, the cushion spring is the wavy looking wire you took out of your clutch assembly.

If you assembled it that way..it will work. The only other problem I can see is an adjustment problem. When putting the clutch push lever back into the clutch cover, make sure that the push rod is all the way out, otherwise a clutch can get hung up.
Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 07-13-2003, 04:59 PM
Range Rover

I guess I should have asked this before cause I had no idea that the fibers were diferent,I had the cushion spring in right,what do you mean by the clutch pushrod being all the way out?

Old 07-13-2003, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

If you didnt pay attention to the fibers, then you probably dont have the fibers/cushion spring lined up right. The cushion spring fits inside of the smaller fiber. If you have a large fiber over the cushion spring, it will not disengage.
The push rod I am talking about is the rod with teeth on it that goes through the pressure plate. When you slide the clutch pull lever into the case, the push rod is what the lever grabs onto. What yo uneed to do is after you have the clutch cover on, pull the push rod all the way out with a pick, screwdriver, or even the shaft on the clutch lever works to do this.

Old 07-13-2003, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Try adjusting the cable,i just did mine and it did the same thing,i tightened the clutch cable by the right bottom of the engine and then the cable up on the bars,then it worked fine..

Old 07-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

RaptorRcR you were right I had the one small fiber out of place. Thanks for the help

Old 07-14-2003, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

so have you tried it..?

Old 07-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Badbronco..no problem. Glad you got it fixed![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Range Rover

I put it back together and its still doing it what could it be?

Old 07-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

If you have all of the plates, fibers, and the cushion spring installed correctly, it can only be the push rod, or it needs more adjustment.

Quick Reply: Help with GYT-R clutch kit