Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is it possible to exchange Raptor jug on Grizz660

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to exchange Raptor jug on Grizz660

Just looking for performance stuff for a Grizz 660 since the Grizz and Raptor are basically the same motor would it be possible switch the jug, carbs and so on to the Grizz. If this is possible then there should be an after market ignition system that would work from the Raptor to the Grizz. Anyone with ideas or suggestions you might have I would appreciate.

Old 07-19-2003, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider

what are you creating now alltoys? isint the 650 satisfiying enough?

Old 07-20-2003, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Hiway,
It is funny you how performance on a machine can bring out the crazy part of someone usually the proof is in the pudding as it were. My friend has done a lot to his Grizz and it is very quick mostly it is very close to my P650 in basic stock form of course he wants to be comparable to mine or better of course. Since the Raptor is a proven platform we should be able to improve on the Grizz with hopefully not digging to hard. It is stlll difficult to have a one lunger out perform a 2 cylinder but is very likely to come extremely close. I have found 10.5 compression on a 4 wheel drive motor to be a good sturdy base to work with and like Airraptor says with a stroked crank it will produce a better torque curve at lower rpm than cylinder volume. I like the idea of the Raptor top end with a stroked crank and updated cam this should be good starting point for the motor. Then there is the clutch system which is rather funky to say the least. I hope there is another type of clutch or something that can be done to it to get better performance at mid and high range. It seems to be a good durable clutch but limited to modifying there is to many parts to alter. If I moddify one part I have to moddify the rest and that alone will be a learning curve.

If there is anyone who has tweeked the clutch will you let me know maybe I can help you out at the same time thanks for all your help. The least little thing can be the most important!!!!!

Old 07-20-2003, 04:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well you mentioned carbs, you can't use Raptor carbs on a Griz head. For some reason they switched the intake ports around. On the Griz the left port feeds the center valve and on the Raptor the right port feeds the center valve.
From what I remember the cylinder looks the same on the two, but I am not sure.

Old 07-20-2003, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Ward660R,
Would a Raptor 660 head interchange on a Grizz 660 bottom end then the carbs should transfer I would think not sure how the interior space would support such a change but worth a gander. I believe they are basically the same motors.

Old 07-21-2003, 02:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think they are pretty much the same as well. I am not 100% on any part of my answers.
If you could check 2 stock CDIs that would help out.
As far as I know the head...................I might have just thought of something. Just a little background: I have been looking for a 2/1 intake manifold for my Raptor. I thought the Griz might work, but it will not, because of the afore mentioned. Well I NEVER could figure out why Yamaha would build it like that, until now.

How much room around the Griz's carb is there? Does it sit directly in the center of the frame, or maybe off to one side to make room for something else?

As far as I know they should internchange. I will look at some schematics off of a Griz tonight and see if I can find any differances. I have heard that the Griz's motor is angled forward more than the Rappy's. I also know that the exhaust studs are larger on the Griz, 8mm compared to 6mm.

Ok, so my question is why would you want to do this? If it is just for the dual carb set-up then I think you would have better, less expensive, luck getting a dual intake manifold for the Griz. I think that the Raptor cams and springs are all the same. So with nothing else being different I can't see the benefit. Unless it has something to do with the shape of the ports. If Yamaha switched sides with where the center valve gets the most fuel, which they did, I could see maybe a better port design on the Raptor over the Griz.

Old 07-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Ward660R,
Thanks for your help I to will some digging it is hard to compare without having both motors on the bench LOL. Maybe yammy will come to my rescue LOL.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your right, it is hard to compare just by drawings. And its funny how nobody else has any input. You should ahve said soemthing about YFZ450 in the title, then maybe you could have gotten some better help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] If I come up with anything I think might be helpfull I will send you a PM.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks again for you help Ward660R I have another project I am working on and the Grizz is for fun not that my buddy thinks so LOL, will chat later.