Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Suspension Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Suspension Adjustment

I have an 04 Raptor and, love it. I have noticed that launching it in drags w/ friends is almost impossible though. Everytime I try to start it wheelies uncontrolably (straight up). I've been thinking though,,,, I weigh 240 and, i'm sure it wasn't setup for my weight. Do you think if I stiffened the compression or sping it wouldn't squat under acceleration as bad therefore not wheelie as much? I have also noticed that i bottom it out over moderate doubles where we ride, I would love to cure this w/o making it a rock or, pogo stick. Any help here is greatly appreciated. If you have some ball park settings I can try i could use the advice. I really think that when I am on it the suspension is down i the rear anyway then when I hit the gas it squats more hence the wheelies.

I don't want to buy new shocks yet so 2k in new shocks in not what i was looking for... Thanks!

Old 07-31-2003, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

you are correct.........I weigh about 245 and had the same problem.............I tightened up the rear shock........it didn't wheelie NEAR as bad..........but it did ride like SHIZ..........so I lostened it back up to revive the smooth ridding wheelie machine!

Old 07-31-2003, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

a little tip..........I have learned that if I stand up over the bars on launch...........start in second gear.........and get a little tire spin.......it won't come up near as far........
don't drop the clutch though.....that is why it stand s up........feather it...........

have the rpms up and let it out as fast as you without lifting the front end.........it will feel weird but once you get used to it.........you won't ever start off in first again!

Old 07-31-2003, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Feathering it like that is how you go through a clutch a week... It'll burn up super fast!

There has to be a way to adjust it for my weight and, still have a nice ride.. Afterall I didn't want a Cadillac ride I wanted A Twin Turbo Porshe when i bought it. Or, I would have bought some Big Piggy Put Put 4x4.

I think if i tighten the compression adjustment a little and, the spiring it will work. BUT< I dont' know what i'm doing. I'm tentative to screw up my machine..

I also would like to stiffen the front shocks a little. A friend said I can spin the adjust collar on the front shocks to stiffen it????? I put the frame to the ground off a 5ft high jump.. I have to adjust for my weight before I snap an ankle.... HELP!!!!

My buiddies seems way stiffer and, launches better but, his is a 03... Our Springs look to be exactly the same in adjustment so, the screw settings must be different??

Thanks!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Bump TTT

Old 07-31-2003, 04:27 PM
Range Rover

I love the raptors low-end torque. I wouldnt change it for the world but im a wheelie freak. Im not sure about adjusting the suspension but maybe you should look into putting a 14 or 15 tooth front sprocket on that puppy. That may be a cheap fix to your problem. That will also bring your top end up a bit. Hope that helps. Later

Old 07-31-2003, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

That would down the power out of the hole.. I could start in second?? But that doesn't help the fact that I case it on small jumps.

I need to firm it up a bit but don't know where to start. I want to adjust the compression on the piggyback res. but, don't know how much to go and, when I have gone to stiff... What are signs?

I can't believe no one out there has adjusted there shocks for more weight or, jumping??

Old 07-31-2003, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

If you tighten the collars on the springs, you increase preload. It's much easier to tighten the collars with the weight off the springs. That won't completely fix your bottoming out problem but it's important to have preload set for your weight. Adjust the preload front and back until you drop 1/3 of the total suspension travel when you sit on the quad. The compression adjust on the rear shock is at the top, turn the screw in to slow down compression. This is the adjustment that will help most with bottoming out. If you bottom out, increase compression resistance by turning the screw in. Rebound adjustment is done at the bottom of the rear shock. Turn the screw in to slow down rebound. If you land and bounce, increase rebound so the rear end doesn't return to normal ride height quite so fast. If you ride over rough stuff and the rear end gets real hard (packs up), decrease rebound. The factory front shock are junk, save your pennies for something that is at least compression adjustable.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I tightened the spring like 3 full turns (What a motha) I had to take the air box out and, the pipe off, it feels stiffer already... I moved the fronts a notch tighter and, it seems the stability is better now. I can't wait to try the double and, see if this helped the bottoming (i'll try it before adjusting the compression and, rebound... I also noticed it doesn't want to wheelie as quick or, as much... Don't get me wrong,,, I can still pull em at will but launching out front of the house on the street seems like it is a little less likely to stand straight up everytime! Cool