Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior problem

I was riding the other day and everything was fine, then after hitting some jumps my warrior just died. The electric start wouldn't start it so I pop started it and it ran like crap. It was creaking, sputtering, and backfiring. It would idle sometimes and other times it would just die and I would have to pop it again. It would start with the electric start sometimes but it was tricky, had to give it just enough gas. I rode it like that to this other small track and did a few laps hitting the jumps, then sat there talking for a hour with the owner. When I went to leave I had trouble getting it to start and after that it was running fine again. Now it runs like nothing ever happened, it did this a couple months ago but it wasn't this bad. I'm thinking it is a electrical problem, but I'm not sure what. Do you think it is my coil or my CDI or something else? Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 08-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior problem

Hmm try checkin you spark plug wire that could be a little melted and arcing on somthing. thats all i can think of right now. I noticed you had the powerbomb header on your warrior. Was it worth the money? did it help alot from bottom to mid? I jsut dont like the fact that its quieter than stock ehehhe.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior problem

Yeah, I checked the plug wire and it is fine but it is pulling away from the coil a little bit. Thats what I was thinking to, it wasn't getting enough spark. The powerbomb header did make a big difference, it is alot more snappy now but your right it is definately louder. Not a good thing if you live in a populated community but I love it.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior problem

Good now I'm going to get the powerbomb for sure lol. You can maybe try just pushing in the wire closer to the coil and keep checking it to see if it moves or find a permanet fixture like silicon or somthing.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior problem

Yes, this happened to me and I hope I can explain this properly since I do not know the name of the cable that you need to check. On the left of the handle bars there is a electric cable that snapped off on mine. There are two copper pieces inside, sort of like prongs but flat, these were touching and my quad did exactly what you described. Once they were parted it ran great. I was told I did'nt even need this hooked back up by a Yamaha mechanic, I just put silicone in it taped it shut. Hope this helped.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior problem

Ok, thanks for the info I'll try that.

Old 08-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior problem

the wires you are refering to are the remains of your parking brake i believe. i had this problem also, i would use the parking brake, then release it and try and start my warrior but it would only rev up so far. finally i realized the parking brake was getting stuck on, so i took it off completely at the handlebar and taped the wires separated and it works fine now.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior problem

Oh ok Now I know What you are talking about. I have already replaced my stock clutch and connected those wires together. I checked them and it isn't that and it isn't my coil either. I tried checking my plug wire with it running and it was fine. I can't get it to do it again so I have no way to track it down. I got to go over all of my connections. When I was back around the CDI checking there was a hesitation a first then it was fine. Could a poor connection at the CDI cause that?