Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Runs Like Crap!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Runs Like Crap!!!!!

Hey guys,

I have a '97 Warrior. I bought the thing from a lady in the paper for $400. The engine was toast(connecting rod bearing was blown out). So I bought an engine off of EBay. Came with starter,carb boot,carb, ect... I put the 4 wheeler back together and got it running. My problem is that the thing will hold an idle when first started(choke pulled out). When I start riding it and come to a stop it dies. It will start up again just fine and the idle goes up and down then holds a very low idle. Then by adjusting the SPEED IDLE SCREW it sounds fine. Rev it and it goes a very high idle again having to adjust the SPEED IDLE SCREW again. You push in the choke and it dies and wont restart untill it is pulled out again. Is the choke suppost to be this way.The carb was rebuilt.I know that it as been gone through because of the teeth marks on the bowl screws. It is also running very rich. The plug is black and I can smell the fuel in the exhaust. When you rev. the engine hard from idle it bogs and dies. Rev it slow or pump the throttle it does fine. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 08-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like the carb is screwed up or has dirt in it get some carb cleaner (from you local bike shop and follow the instructions) this would be the easiest thing to try the yamaha cleaner works wonders! it cleaned mine out it would only run with the choke pulled (bad gas) good luck!!

Old 08-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

The carb probably hasnt been rebuilt. Just jetted. The motor probably had a pipe and now that your running a stock exhaust its way to rich. Put a 145 main in it and set the idle air mix screw (on the bottom of the carb toward the motor) to 2 and a half turns to start with then tune it till its runs good. You will need to look for the screw while you have the carb off or you will never find it with it on.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Anyone figure this out

anyone figure this out. Having very similar. Idling really rich can drive around but backfires about 1/2 throttle or more. Ran with the air box off can get to about 3/4 then backfiring bad. Have new cylinder head, new valves etc. They are set at.003 for the intake and.005 for the exhaust. DG exhaust i modified the airbox trying to get more free flow by drilling 1/4 holes in the top part at the back of the airbox under the seat. 10 holes. Have a mikuni carb jetting is 45 pilot and 140 main. After warm idles poorly and will stall out unless I turn the idle screw up pretty high in my opinion. I can turn the fuel mixture screw all the way in though and it still runs. So I have a jet kit and rebuild kit in the way. Going to clean the xarb again and let it soak in some cleaner over night but I'm at a loss and have more than I'd like invested into this thing. Any help is appreciated...