Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quad for dirtbike?

YZ450F... absolutely...

Old 09-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

dont you just love that feel of a loud 4 stroke, nice blue and white color with the comfiest seats and most comfortable thing to sit on, i just love the feeling of riding a dirtbike!!!!!! what do u think the yz450f tops out at?

Old 09-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Range Rover

YZ450F Top speed?....... hmmm..... i'd say its about "DAMN" give or take a mph

Old 09-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

LOL

Old 09-12-2003, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Tekky,

I hear ya ! It's quite a challenge....I've found that getting back a bit on the seat and more speed is much easier (plus I just installed a SCOTTS stabilizer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) in the sand but it's the darn sharp turns that are really challenging.

I dont mind being a spode for now, it's fun learning.......

Old 09-12-2003, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

FISHER1648, i used to have a hard time pulling sharp powerslides in the sand. cus the front end would just feel heavy and wanna lay down the bike. until i let off the throttle...after a bit more riding, i found out. sticking my foot out(inside edge), pulling on a handle bars a bit while gunning it, and a little pressure on the right foot peg, helped. and now i can pull some nice powerslides in the sand, and if you have ever seen a crusty vid, where they do the powerslides on the side of a hill of sand. i am slowly...but surely getting confidence and learning how to do it better and getting the bike at a steeper angle to the ground. its fun once you get the basic feel of how to control the bike in the sharp turns. sometimes if i wanna get the rear end out hard, i use my legs to make the rear end slide out on the slippery stuff, sorta like a quad....boy i love riding the bike, quads were fun...when i was younger. now its the dirtbikes...in a season or two i am thinken of going to a 250. or save up for a ktm SX200 (best of both worlds, 125 and 250)

Old 09-12-2003, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I started out on dirtbikes first (92 kx 125 & 94 kx 250) but when i rode a quad at the age of 13 i was hooked. personally it didnt take me long to get used to bikes but when i switched a had a problem with getting up on two wheels all the time till i found out they turn very diffrently. i would stick to quads i have alot more fun on them. im 20yrs old now and the only time i would rather ride a bike is on a motocross track.

just my opinion. slamman

Old 09-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I'm pushin 40 and it's never too late to learn something new - just takes longer to heal-up. The bikes seem much more agile and controlable (once I figure it out). I've managed to surprise myself a couple times and get through some real tight, rocky stuff with ease compared to a quad.

Two different animals with different habits - the one common thing is being off-road and enjoying it !

Old 09-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Again, they both have strengths and weaknesses. My favorite place for quads is at the dunes. Bowling is a lot more fun for me on a quad and it's the best place to jump a quad. On the track, I still love my bike. I love railing the corners and picking lines up the face of a jump. I don't have that flexibility with a quad on the tracks around here.

Whoever said the YZF450 is faster than the CRF450 has not spent a lot of time on both. They are VERY close. The only real difference power-wise is the curve. Personally, I would take the CRF as it seems to handle a bit better and the linear power curve makes the power more useable.

MX

Old 09-12-2003, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

If you want a sick sand bike, do what I did. Buy a new YZ250. Ship the motor to Rick Peterson Motorsports and have him make it a 285. Bore the carb. FMF Fatty Pipe and Shorty Silencer. Get some sand tires, and your set to rip anything short of a 500 out there. I had a lot more mods to mine, but theres too many to list. I never lost a hillclimb race to any four stroke. 2 Stroke 250's are simply faster in the sand. On the dirt, the YZ450 or CRF450 will take the holeshot. But definately not in the sand. 2 strokes require more maintenence but are easier to work on and tune. IMO, you can't beat the power of a 2 stroke. 4 strokes just dont feel right to me on 2 wheels.

If you get a bike, be prepared to be injured more. 4 trips to the ER in one season was enough to make me sell mine and step down to a quad. You will fall, and you will get hurt. Its just part of riding. But with a bike, it happens more. You will ride faster and harder, jump higher and further, and thats what causes accidents. Be careful.

Quick Reply: quad for dirtbike?