Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

long term problems with kodiak 400 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 04:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long term problems with kodiak 400 4wd

Gday everyone, my first post
I am a farmer from Australia and spend long hours on my bikes. I am looking a purchasing a new bike this week and would be interested in members views on problems with the kodiak. Especially expensive ones. How does the belt drive system last? I will be doing a lot of miles on mine before getting another bike, and it needs to be reliable. As I cannot afford to have the bike broken down.
I currently have a Polaris sportsman. The belt drive has just been fully rebuilt $$$, I was unaware that it should be checked and work done on it preventably every 500 hours. It's a very nice bike to ride but very high maintainence and the parts seem to be very expensive. I won't be buying another polaris. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Scott

Old 10-06-2003, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you want a honda.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Well, from what I found researching Kodiaks, they are virtually bulletproof. If you are buying a used 400: get a 2002 or lower. They have low range and lower gearing than the 2003 and newer ones. The only complaints on the older ones are quick rear brake wear, esspecially if you mud ride alot. There are aftermarket pads that slow this issue. I think the new ones have a rear drum to eliminate this issue. Some people have said that they have had trouble with the servo moter that switches them between 2 and 4wd. I dont think this is a very widespread problem, though it might happen to any year model. Another issue is the front trans snorkle. From the factory the clamp between the snorkle and trans can be loose. Check both front and rear snorkle connections. Then your fine. IF your buying new, GET THE 450! It has all the good stuff and will be just as reliable. To give you an idea of how great these quads are there is a guy who posts here who has an ATV rental/trail riding business. He uses all kodiaks, over 30 of them, all with thousands of miles by non owner users who will not care about the quads at all. Nuff said. But after 2002, I wouldnt have a 400. No low range and the gearing change makes them a dog in comparison. I thinkKodiaks may be the most durable, troublefree quad out there. After researching all the automatics, thats what I got. I am 100 percent satisfied.

An afterthought: If you buy a used one, say a 2000 model, the waterpump has a faulty weephole design that was corrected. Just save yourself grief later and replace it immediatly with the new design.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice.
Well I did what I said I wouldn't do, I purchased another polaris (sportsman 400). I took a kodiak 400 for a test drive, the runout model ie low range and disc rear end. I didn't like the way it rode. It seemed too soft in the front end which made it lift the rear when turning sharply and the steering seemed to kick around a lot on bumps and ruts. I have no doubt that they are more reliable than the polaris, but for the farm work I do and the rocky, hilly terain that I ride I think the polaris will be more suited. So long as It holds together. My last one which I traded today was a 1999 model sportsman 335 with 8600 miles. Problems included 5 universal joints replaced, 1 stater, 1 carby kit, rebuild belt drive and worn out tie rod ends. Hopefully the new one 04 model has rectified some of these problems. I haven't seen one yet, but purchased it anyway. The dealer that I purchased the polaris from is also the yamaha and honda dealer, so there is no advantage in changing brands to get better service. The only reason I think the polaris will be better is the independant rear end, which will handle running over large rocks on slopes without tipping over as easily. Here in Australia I had to pay $11250 for the sportsman and the Kodiak 400 was $10000 and the 450 was $11000. You guys don't know how lucky you are in the US with reguards to purchasing power and the average wage. That bike here in oz is a third of the average persons yearly income(not mine), and I pay US $2.85 per gallon for fuel. (its equal to my total income, we are in drought over here) You may be interested to know that here in Australia ATV's are very rarely used for recreational purposes, only for farmers. If people here go trail riding they use 2 wheeled motorbikes. Thanks again for the help