Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior oil cooler

Can someone on here that has put an oil cooler on their warrior tell me where to drill the holes in the side cover for the return lines? I already have a cooler as was going to make my own kit. P.S. I am not making a kit for sale just for my warrior.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

That would be hard for me to explain, pm me your email and I can send ya some pics.

Old 10-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a suggestion.....Go to a Yamaha dealership and take a very very very close look at the oil filter cover on both the warrior and the wolverine. I am all but positive that they have the same bolt pattern and the insides are much the same as they use the same oil filter.

If this works, there will be no modifications to your existing engine cases or side covers. The only thing you'll have to do is mate up to the cooler lines properly.

Good Luck.

Old 10-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

Does anyone here know if the wolverine filter cover idea would work? If it would that would be awesome. I had looked into the older big bear units like that but did not think about the wolverines. Thanks for that idea 95Wolverine

Old 10-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Let me know if it works, my buddy wants to do the opposite... if and when his oil cooler or lines give his wolverine grief, he wants to basically cap it off. That's where my idea originated.

Anyway, good luck.

Old 10-09-2003, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

The Wolverine has a different bolt pattern than the Warrior. The Big Bear is the same as the Warrior and will work. Parts will cost around $200. The best way to do it is the drill and tap the clutch cover - the reason for this is that the Warriors have a problem with bottom-end rod bearings and top-end rod pins wearing out prematurely due to excessive heat. Drilling and tapping into the clutch cover delivers the 40 degree cooler oil directly into the end of the crank that feeds the bottom-end rod bearing plus it throws the cold oil up onto the piston skirt and cylinder walls to add to the longevity of your Warrior. If you use the Big Bear system, you are cooling the oil that goes through the transmission first and by the time it reaches the oil pump and goes to the crank it's hot again and does not fix the premature wear problems. I have used this system on Warriors for 16 years now doubling the hp on a Warrior and the rods have not been a problem anymore. In fact, a 435 kit or bigger has been just about as reliable as a stocker.

Old 10-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

I beg to differ... As it is true, tapping in to the cluch case oil gallies would decreas the oils temperature the most. But the big bear's idea would work, but not as well....

The heated oil will remain at the same temperature if there is not a way for the heat to escape. With either kit, the oil will be coold down before it is returned to the block. No matter what system you use, the oil will be cooler when hit hits those bearings. The clutch version will be more technical, and provide better cooling. The filter idea will keep the oil cooler and will look much more professional.

I have an 87 warrior. It had a hard life untill i purchased it 2 year ago for 400 dollars. But, i did get it to run on the stock bore and internal bearings. IT was not smooth, but the rod bearing was not toasted by heat, but rather old age. With that said, it is clear that any oil cooler will make an improvement , one will just do more than the other.