Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Reworking my 96 SHEE into a MXer---any opinions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reworking my 96 SHEE into a MXer---any opinions..

Were you running 105 in a stock motor? If so that would have been the main contributor to your running problems. We dumped a tank of 106 into a stock bike with pipes only and it wouldnt even hardly run. Not enough compression to burn race gas unless you do some motor work first. If purchased used compression could have been a big factor also, the lack of it likely. The banshee can be a good mxer with the right amount of money and definitely the right rider on it. Have a couple friends that set theirs up for MXing and did pretty well with the setups they had. Once you get the power under control and traction to the ground, the holeshots come your way quickly. I know someone selling a set of +2+1 Lonestar chrome a-arms. He switched back to XC and took them off for stock width for tree dodging.

Old 10-17-2003, 06:48 PM
Range Rover

Jennifer, I have ran the 105 in my power saw, I run it in my lawn mower (w/o premix ofcourse), my weedeater, my blower, and whatever other small engine I would happen to run and my yard equipment runs awesome, so therefore I do not contribute the gas as a factor, perhaps it was because the motor worn.... I had just purchased the bike, and it had supposedly a new top end in it, the receipts and so forth were in the envelope, and the guy selling the bike was not one to lie... BUt that is all in the past now because it has a sweet CT 370 L.R. sitting in er!! W/ a trued and welded crank, and everything else.. To me, my motor is finished.. I am not touching the motor until it is time for a top end job------which with the way I work, will be many years from now!! I work in the oil field for a major service company so I am gone away alot!!!!!!!

Hmmm, what kinda shape are the a-arms in? how much is the ol guy asking for them?? This may be of interest to me.... Where at in Texas are you located? What is the closest big city??

Old 10-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

The aarms are in meticulous shape and are chrome. Selling them with the reamed spindles, tie rods, and ends that you will need for install. $500 and I am north of Dallas about and hour and a half.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

Hmmm, about an hour north of Dallas huh!? Like around Boyd? Decautor? I recently was in that area drilling a well for Devon Energy Services, if I remember correctly, there used to be a National TT in Boyd........ It was my first time there, man that is a really small area........ What do you have done to youe SHEE? What kind of motor work? Who done your motor work? What size domes do you run? What class do you ride? What is your age? Is there alot of tracks around your area? Your area is probably about 7 hours from here in Louisiana.... I am probably going to go ahead and go with Laeger A-arms and order them when i order my TCS suspension through CT racing.... That is who I have been dealing with thus far and have been pretty happy with them over the phone and getting back my product and so forth... I was dealing with a local guy who did alotta work for me back in the late 80s' and early 90s', he started making an attempt to financially rape me, so I went to his house picked up my bike and went through CT for everything and have learned alot from Allen Knowles----I am very impressed with his knowledge....

Old 10-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

So far this is what I have done by CCS Engineering in Summit, Il.

Coolhead with 21cc domes, bored .060 over, decked cylinders, match ported cases, ported cylinders(xc port job), T5 pipes, single carb, v-force reeds, lightened flywheel, adjustable timing plate, ebc dirt racer clutch, factory concepts clutch basket, pro atv adjust on the fly clutch lever, amp link, Works shocks front and back, Roll Design kick up pegs, DG nerf bars, Razr tires front and back on .190 rims, Lonestar axle, Acerbis handguards, Renthal bars, One Graphics and seat, PRM baja bumper, AC racing grab bar, K&N filter w/skin and no lid, Vitos power pistons, and a Denton steering stabilizer. I think that about sums it up.

I dont do any track riding anymore, when we all did there are only a couple of good tracks within a 2 hour drive that are worth going to. The rest just weren't intended for ATV users. I just turned 30 this year and enjoy riding more than ever. I'd like to take a stab at XC in the upcoming spring barring I can be in good enough shape to ride for 1.5 hours non stop without dying from heart failure.

I am actually about an hour east of Decatur since you know where that is. There is a great quad track in Nocona which is not too far from Decatur. www.noconamx.com www.tqra.com

The guy with the aarms went with Elka in the rear and Custom Axis in the front and says he loves them. Bought them and ended up not mxing though, still uses them for XC riding though. Good luck with the mxing, its a blast just takes a lot of practice and nerves of steel!