Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Bogging

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Bogging

The worst part about this is it couldnt have happened at a worse time. I have my Raptor on ebay, reserve is met and the auction ends in a day. Well, yesterday I went riding in some pretty heavy mud, brought it home and spent an hour cleaning it. Today I went out to ride it, and I'm not sure what wrong. It will sit and idle, but when I hit the gas to rev it up, it just falls off, bogging and sputtering. When I try to take off, it bogs, but I can get it going and after its above the idle rpm, it runs fine. My initial thought was from riding in the mud the day before my air filter was so full of mud I wasnt getting any air. I checked the air filter and it was clean. I don't know if it matters, but I have ran about one and a half tanks of race gas (octane 110 I think). I need help ASAP so I can get it fixed soon.

HiFlyin

Old 10-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Bogging

why would you sell it then ride it in the mud a day before the auction has ended,that's kinda messed up for the person buying it,..jmo

also check your choke cable and the race gas only works on built bikes and will make your bike run worse if you have no mods,drain the gas and put 91 in there..

Old 10-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Bogging

Ok, I'll drain it, but I don't think its the choke because I can tell a big change in how it idles when its on and off choke.

It had been 3 days since it rained and it didnt even rain hard so I had no idea it was so muddy, but I had spent all morning getting ready and I wasnt going to turn around and go home.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Bogging

You may have gotten some dirt (mud) in one of the carbs. If all else fails pull them out and clean them real good. Also one other area to check is inside the spark plug boot, you never know. Murphy's Law never fails. If something can go wrong it will happen at the worst possible time.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Bogging

I went out and drained it and put regular in and rode it around for about 10 minutes, but its still doing it. I just noticed that it doesn't really do it with the choke on, just with it off. The word I was looking for before but couldnt remember was it seems like its MISSING, if I hold the throttle in it will climb up through the rpm's slowly. This is all just sitting still and not moving, when I'm moving its fine.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Bogging

Needle valves I bet. Race gas makes the little rubber tip soft and it won't seal well, you are probably flooding the idle circuit. Check the fuel level with a clear hose.

Shame on you for riding the quad after you put it up for sale.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor Bogging

Instant carma is a mf huh!

Check your carb boot.. It sounds just like the symptoms that drove me nuts for a few days. It will blow out every once in a while when you're riding it hard...like the last time you're gonna ever ride it. It doesn't take much for that boot to move and cause your exact problem.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Bogging

Riding through heavy mud in a raptor......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Bogging

Change the plug.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Bogging

Originally posted by: frotis
Instant carma is a mf huh!

Check your carb boot.. It sounds just like the symptoms that drove me nuts for a few days. It will blow out every once in a while when you're riding it hard...like the last time you're gonna ever ride it. It doesn't take much for that boot to move and cause your exact problem.
Ditto!
I had the same thing happen after romping on mine for a few hours. The carb came loose from the boot and it ran very lean and started to skip once I got on the gas.

Quick Reply: Raptor Bogging