Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Starter problem or maybe??? Help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problem or maybe??? Help please!!

Ok I have a friend who bought a used raptor and when he first got it it was making some noise when he tried to start it... He claimed it was the high comp piston that it is supposed to have in it.. I told him that this was not right.. We argued and now it is to the point where it spins (no grinding) then after about 5-8 tries it will catch with a loud "squeal" that I can only descibe as almost like a belt or ac clutch that has locked up???? During this the starter labors but still spins the motor over so I am shying away from a starter problem... My Yamaha dealer wishes to tear it apart and "see what they find" I am reluctant to just give them a blank check even though it is not mine and let them start throwing parts at it.. Any one had this problem or can shed some light on this would be grately apprecieated!! He is about to trade it in and buy somthing else but if this is an easy fix then maybe he will stay with it... Thank you!!!

Old 10-30-2003, 03:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It sounds like a one way starter clutch gone bad. Do a search for one way and you will get a ton of info on it. It is an easy fix for a little over $200.

Old 10-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

Ward660R thanks for the response.. I tried the search and it did not come up with anything.. If this is the problem how hard to fix is this do you need any special tools or is it deep somewhere that I don't need to be?? Have you had this problem?? Is it a normal thing?? All quads have there qwerks is this one of the raptors?? Thanks agian!!!

Old 10-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Range Rover

disassemble stator cover and starter cover then remove starter gears and oil hose at bottom of motor then remove stator with harmonic balancer puller. flywheel will come off with it and bearing replace flywheel and bearing and gaskets then put everything back on in reverse order. change oil and filter to remove shavings then fill up with oil let run for five minutes then ride. be sure to lube the one way bearing before assembly

question for people who have already done this does this work for awhile or does it go out any sooner

Old 10-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Its not too hard a job with the proper tools. Check it out on my site www.raptortranny.com

Yes, its a farely common problem for the raptor, its one of the qwerks as you say.