Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Kodiak...Is this $ right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Kodiak...Is this $ right?

A local dealer is asking $3638 out the door for the 03 Kodiak 2x4 and $3958 out the door for the 04 2x4. Is that pretty good on price? Is there any reason to pay the extra for the 04 over the 03? I can't seem to find any differences between the years.

Thanks for the help,

Mpman![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know about the price differences but I am going to say this. If your going to get a kodiak, get a 4x4. My bud has a 2x4 and wishes he had a 4x4. There is no reason not to have it. And I would suggest if your buying new that you spring the cash for the 450 4x4. Here is my logic:

If you got a Kodiak your not a sport rider. This means you want to work the quad or trail ride. IF you want to work the quad you need the low range for pulling. New 450s are the only ones with low range. 4x4 is also good for pulling. If you mainly trail ride the quad, it is inevitable that you will find mudholes and logs, rocks, etc that must be traversed. 4x4 is great when you need it. I cant tell you how many times I have hit that button to help me out of a bind and then had to push my bud through. Its worth every penny I promise.

Now, if you dont like the 450s price and want to save some money heres what to do ( this is my category): Buy a Kodiak 400 4x4 with low range used. I think thats 2002 model down to 2000. Here is why: 2000 through 2002 were automatics, had low range, AND had a lower gear ratio than the 2003 and newer. The lower gear range helps pulling power with mud tires and work and the older model means money left for you. Kodiaks are bullet proof. One example of this is the guy that uses Kodiaks only on his atv rental business and he has nothing but good things to say.

IF you buy used here a test you should do: put the quad in 4x4, turn the wheels sharply and gas it pretty hard. Do this in both directions. If you hear clicking that means the axles have wear or broken parts in the cv joints. this is kindof expensive to fix. ( I bought mine off ebay and I have this problem)

Old 11-16-2003, 01:54 AM
Trailblazer

Vampirerider,

Thank you so much for your information. The 450 4x4 is $5500 and the 400 4x4 is $4700. There are 2 reasons why I was leaning toward the 400 2 wheel drive. I remember there was alot of discussion of issues with the servo motors on the 400 4-wheel drives burning out. To be honest, I would love a 450, but it is out of my price range. A friend also suggested the Suzuki Eiger 400 since it does have the hi/low range. It's price is pretty close as well.

My use will be just riding it around the 30 acers. I will not be mudding or even pulling anything of great weight. We have a tractor for stuff like that. I have to say, trying to decide what I want and which to buy, has been very hard. So, I appreciate your thoughts and information.

Thanks again,

Mpman21

Old 11-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

I have never ridden an eiger, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. Its probably worth looking at.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2001 Kodiak 4wd. I would also suggest getting a 4wd model with the high/low gearing. I use the low gear all of the time. I do believe the Kodiak (especially 2000-2002) is the better quad but the write ups are good for the Eiger. It looks like you will use yours like I do, - work, hunting, and some playing.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

You'll wish you had the 4x4 and lowrange at one time or another! This will happen i guarantee it! you may not think you'll need it now but a time will arise when you will be kicking yourself for not geting the 4x4 on either the eiger or the kodiak!

Old 11-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

The low range is a definate advantage for working, hauling and towing. If your not going to work the machine that much, you won't miss it.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: shastadog
The low range is a definate advantage for working, hauling and towing. If your not going to work the machine that much, you won't miss it.
Or if you hit really deep mud, you'll wish you had gotten the 4x4 w/ Low range.