Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 12:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee Clutch

hey peoples..... i ditched the warrior and yz straight up for a 2001 banshee.... the clutch slips a little, mainly in 5th and 6th about mid range to top...... the lever adjustment doesn't work anymore..... there is still adjustment though... but if i adjust it out, it only catches when the handle is the whole way out...... i need to rip the side case off and adjust it on the clutch itself, which i'll do friday.... (no work!!!) anyways.... what are some opinions on after market clutces? i've looked into hinson, barnett, and ebc.... i've heard bad about barnett..... but i'd like to hear..... i don't race. just rip around a lot, and ride every sunday.... rain or shine.... it's my religion.... haha since christmas is coming up..... i need to know what to ask santa for [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] do you think i'll need a new basket? think it will be grooved? or just new discs?

thanks a TON GUYS (and GIRLS)!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Range Rover
Default Banshee Clutch

I have always been told by many mechanics that the stock yamaha clutch plates are the best....when used with barnett springs. Be sure that the steel plates in between the fibers are not burnt to bad, Its a good idea to replace the steels when replacing the clutch plates if they are showing discoloration.

JLew

Old 11-05-2003, 12:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Banshee Clutch

oh yeah? stock is the best? what about the basket if it's grooved? i've heard of people filing them down.... actually i did that to my old dirtbike.... but i was young and it never ran after that rebuild, so i don't know how it would've worked.... haha i've learned from my mistakes though......

Old 11-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer
Default Banshee Clutch

That's actually a pretty typical problem on stock Banshee clutches. I don't know what mods (if any) are done to your machine but stock clutches don't last long on a bike/motor that isn't stock. I personally think that it's wayyy worth it just to put in a good clutch in the beginning instead of always having to work on or replace clutch parts. To do it right, put an aftermarket basket and pressure plate (often comes as kit) along with the new clutch plates and springs. The GYT-R basket and pressure plate for the Banshee is actually designed by Hinson. I don't know what bad things you've heard about Barnett's clutches, but mine is everything I need it to be. Pro-X is also a good clutch.

I work at a Yamaha dealer in parts and I can tell you to stay away from clutches by EBC and some of the lower end guys. Alot of them fry really easy. You basically get what you pay for... most of the time.

Also, just a couple of tips: if you do your own clutch install, make sure to soak the actual clutch plates (not the steel friction plates) in oil before they go in the bike; I don't know how often you change oil in the tranny, some people go by hours and some go by how many rides. If you use a good oil and change it BEFORE the oil is broken down, you will get way more life out of your clutch and tranny. I change mine every race or every 2 to 3 rides (depending on conditions).

Old 11-05-2003, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Banshee Clutch

I've always had the best luck with the stock clutch. I tried Barnett...it made it very notchy.

I'm sure you can get some of your lever back if you do the adjustment at the clutch on the side of the engine. Do your marks line up on the engine case? (arrows). You may just have a stretched cable?