Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

question about GYT-R YFZ pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about GYT-R YFZ pipe

I recently got a gyt-r exhaust and header, and when i warm the quad up and go for a few minutes the header glows bright red is this normal?

Old 11-16-2003, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Did you re-jet? Running lean will make it glow bright red. Mine glows too but not real bright. You can only see mine glowing when it’s completely dark. Actually, the stock exhaust would glow on mine also when it got warmed up.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

no i didnt rejet... do you think i should, my mechanic said i should put my lid back on cuz i was running lean and should get it re jet if i wanted it off but never said anything about having to rejet with the pipes on

Old 11-17-2003, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

yeah i can only see it glow at night or in the dark.

Old 11-17-2003, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Rejeting is needed almost everytime you do major changes in exhaust or intake. If you are switching from the stock YFZ pipe to a aftermarket pipe its a pretty dramatic change so i would say a RE-JET will be needed. If you are getting a K&N (sorry if they dont make them yet) soon hold off on the rejet so you can do it all at once. DEFINATLY rejet with the pipe and airbox lid off! your power gains will be awesome with the uncorking of the YFZ.

Have fun
Travis

Old 11-17-2003, 01:53 AM
Trailblazer

if i tell them what aftermarket stuff i want on my yfz wll they know how to jet it properly according to the mods?

Old 11-17-2003, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer

oh and with my new exhaust when rev it or have it going and then let go of the throttle it seem to makinga "cracking" shound is that normal too?

Old 11-17-2003, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

the cracking or poping is due to improper jetting. No worries on that its typical when your off on the jetting. Who is "them" I Would order a dynojet kit and do it myself. I dont trust dealer working on my stuff, its just a wierd feeling when its away from me.

Travis

Old 11-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YFZfofiveoh
no i didnt rejet... do you think i should, my mechanic said i should put my lid back on cuz i was running lean and should get it re jet if i wanted it off but never said anything about having to rejet with the pipes on
You need to re-jet!! In my opinion you should have re-jetted as soon as you got the bike. They are lean from the factory. I am having trouble getting my jetting dialed in right now myself. What altitude are you at?

Old 11-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

my suggestion...get a new mechanic...

Quick Reply: question about GYT-R YFZ pipe