Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wolverine Problems

Not to make things worse, but when my rear axle bearings were bad, so were the swingarm bearings. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] They fell out in pieces when removed. And I also discovered that the rear caliper piston was pitted on the ebrake end (leaking).

Just for peace of mind, I replaced both axle bearings/seals (Pivot Works kit), both swingarm bearings, and rebuilt the caliper/replaced the rotor. The rotor was a victim of the dreaded stuck on parking brake, now removed. And....... since the swingarm was off, a new rear ujoint went in, too.

Much to my chagrin, now the internal oil seals in the rear diff are leaking gear lube into the swingarm, it is visible coming out of the Lh axle seal. So, this weekend, I will tackle the diff.

Old 11-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]I just bought my wife a 2003 Wolverine brand new from a dealer. The bike seems like a winner. I'm very concerned with your finding the wheel bearings ARE NOT sealed. That seems so stupid to install non-sealed bearings in an ATV!

What other areas should I look into? How about removing the Swing-arm and installing Zerk fittings to keep it well lubed? Why is everyone having all the brake problems? One guy toasting the rotor, the pads the Calipers.MY God I'm almost afraid to use the Brakes and then I'll have to replace some brake parts???

I was thinking of getting her some nice shocks so as to smooth out the ride. She complains that we arms are very sore after a day or trying to keep up with us guys on our DS-650s and 450 Yamahas.

What other areas of concern should I look into??

Good luck and thanks for the information!

Regards,

GLWBEAR
2003 Bombardier DS-650 Baja
2003 Wolverine
1997 Banshee

Old 11-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Most of the problems related to brakes are from mud /water. All the grit from mud or dirt accelerates brake wear. Not only that, after a period of time, the lubrication on the caliper slides degrades or disapperars, then the slide seizes, and the pads wear crooked, and faster.

I have had the best luck with EBC sintered pads, but if there is a better option, let me know.

The other issue is the park brake. The rev limiter associated with it often sticks, so most folks disconnect it. Therefore, if it is disconnected, and you forget and leave the park brake on, it fries the pads and rotor (spoken from experience). I finally stopped using it altogether, and recently removed it.

Old 11-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, BTW, the Warn 424 will ease the steering considerably.