Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

slime or tire repair kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 08:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slime or tire repair kit?

Hi, I just brought home my new bruin 350 4x4 today. Talking to my dealer about a tire repair kit and he recommended slime. Says it works great. Didn't buy anything yet, waiting for some feed back from you guys. Give me some help please. I hope I like my new 4x4. Going to try to get some riding in this weekend. If anyone wants, I'll try to give you some feed back.
NUBBIN[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

I carry plugs with me since you can stuff lots of them on BIG punctures where slime would be useless. Ive even used them on my truck! They work great.

Old 11-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

plugs or super glue.
I super glued a hole in my tire and it has held 3 yrs.

Old 11-26-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

The big benefit to Slime is that it seals the tire while I'm racing. Whereas with the plug, its hard to tell the tire has a puncture until its flat and its too late. Plus with a plug, the rider needs to stop and plug it...with Slime, you don't lose time.( Hey...I'm a poet..LOL)....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2003, 09:53 PM
RIP Dear Friend

nubbin,

I have slime in all my quads and dirtbikes and even my lawn and garden equipment. It has helped out more on the small lawn tractors over the quads because of all the thorny bushes that I have to mow around.

I still will use the plugs though if I get a big hole and like blueleader said the super glue works good.

I would check around on the prices though because I purchased my slime much cheaper at one of the local farm stores versus the dealer which was quite a bit higher.

Chet

Old 11-26-2003, 09:59 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I highly recommend the slime, it will take care of most tread area punctures and even some sidewall punctures. If you are riding in an area that’s not far from home or help, then a patch kit is probably not necessary at this time (assuming you’ve “slimed” your tires). However if you plan to go on long trail rides or you are farther out than you’d want to walk back, you should carry both a portable 12V air compressor and plenty of tire patch plugs (I’ve used as many as 7 in one hole), or be sure someone in your riding group has these things…

Old 11-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

I was told that slime is slightly corrosive to the aluminum rims. A buddy told me that he actually saw little pits along the inside edge by tire bead.

Any one else heard or seen any evidence of this??

I put slime in my sand tires about two years ago...

Thanks,

PH

Old 11-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of my rear brand friggen new razrs was leaking..so i filled it up with fix-a-flat and its held for a while....still dunno why it was leaking..couldnt see any holes.

Even when I get my tires...I Slime them anyway....just incase

Old 11-27-2003, 02:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

warrior68man, sounds like your tire may have not been seated on the bead all the way. Or you could have had some dirt on the bead preventing a good seal. On of my tires was leaking and I Slimed them. No more leaks!! Slime is actually suppose to be non-corrosive to the rims. Fix-A-Flat however, is a mess when you take the tire off, and will eat away at he rim, especially aluminum rims.

Old 11-27-2003, 02:41 AM
Trailblazer

Funny you guys should be discussing this on this particular day
I went out for a small joy ride today and put a 1/2 inch gash on
my front right sidewall... any suggestions or am i totally screwed
as i already assume. Do you think the slime would seal it up??? or
am I a little late??

Quick Reply: slime or tire repair kit?