Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New 01 gear from Yamaha

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 01 gear from Yamaha

I just got off the phone from a yamaha dealership. They told me that the part number for the 01 second gear is superceded by a new part number. This new part number is for an updated second gear that yamaha makes to directly replace the weak original ones. This new second gear is suppose to be the same ratio so you don't have to switch out anything else except the gear. Plus it is stronger and is not suppose to break.

Now that is what the dealer is telling me. Is this true? Have any of you guys heard of this? Because it would be alot easier to replace just the one gear.

Old 12-08-2003, 06:53 PM
RIP Dear Friend

This is the first I have heard of this[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

They cant change just 2nd gear. The 4th gear wheel is the problem (it engages 2nd gear) so both would have to be changed, probably to a 4 engagement dog setup.

All in all I say its doubtful they did this as they know a ton of people would cry foul. The yamaha microfiche still has the same part number for 01 aswell.

It can be done but yamaha doesnt care enough to do so. Also the 02 trans is tons better in my opinion, for what I do anyway (trail ride - hill climb)

Old 12-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know alot about the tranny because I haven't taken it apart yet. So the problem is with the 4th gear wheel and 2nd gear?

The dealer basically was saying that the new replacement for second gear is same design, just made with better materials, thus making it stronger.

My tranny hasn't gone yet so I was thinking about just putting in this new and improved gear. Am I wrong by assuming this will fix the problem because other components are weak as well????

Old 12-08-2003, 10:21 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Just hit on warrior007
raptor tranny link in his signature.

good site for 01 owners if the need arises

Old 12-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I'm very interested in this, please update us on what goes on with this. My 01 has been reliable so far even as a 686 but I plan to upgrade to an 02 trans this next tax refund season. If I could replace one or two gears that would be far preferable to doing the whole dang thing. Of course dont forget new shift forks too.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

I did some checking around today. No other dealers have heard of a update part number. They all show same 2nd gear that is weak from factor. So I guess it is to good to be true. But it would be nice to just replace one gear.

Also Mr45Auto, don't you only need to replace shift forks if they are worn and out of specs? Otherwise I think they are fine.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I hate too be the bearer of bad news, but mine went out this past time WITH FORTINS. SO, stronger gears is not gonna be the fix.....it's a design flaw that stems from the original street bike design (was not changed for the Raptor) and the weak design will not stand up too the quad contact patch. The torque monster Raptor does not help this inherit problem either.

Old 12-09-2003, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sandRappy
don't you only need to replace shift forks if they are worn and out of specs? Otherwise I think they are fine.
Shift fork 2 has to be changed (the gear wheel that it engages is a different diameter around the crown), shift fork 1 should be changed also. Shift fork 1 works the 4th gear wheel back and forth, the dogs are over cut so that the shiftfork has in some cases hold the mesh together which overtime I would think will weaken it. For an extra $30 its better to be safe. (if the tranny has blown - shift fork 1 is toasted everytime)

Old 12-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Check into this. Might be worth doing. They claim to strengthen driveline parts upto 50%

CryoScience

/jon

Quick Reply: New 01 gear from Yamaha