Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best way to clean shavings from inside motor.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to clean shavings from inside motor.

This past weekend one of the guide plate stoppers on the cam gear weights, broke in half and that part went to the bottom of the motor and was imediatly chewed up. Of course, not knowing this at the time, it was rode over the weekend until the weight that was held in place by this broken part was able to spin out far enough to allow the lever to rotate 180 degrees. This caused the decompression pin to stay out all the time and the engine sputtered and died etc. It became hard to start and once started obviously ran like crap.

Any ol how, without dissassembling the entire motor what would be the best way to flush out the engine to get as much of these shavings out?

This was on my blue Raptor not my mild 686. The blue one will one day be torn apart for the tranny upgrade. This will probably speed up that process but for now I just want to clean it out as best as I can without dissassembly. TIA

Old 01-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

I would flush it out with some Diesel fuel. I don't think it would hurt the clutch. With the valve cover off and the oil line and drain plug out it should work OK. I would always wonder if it all came out?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yep, I wonder that to. The only real way to clean it all out is to take the whole thing apart. I'm not going to do that. Not until this tranny goes, which this little $2.88 problem will probably speed up by ruining bearings and gears faster.

I figure I'll clean what I can see and get to. Fix the problem put new filter and oil in it. Run if for a while tiull it's warmed up and change the oil and filter a couple times like that. Then just be happy till somthing fails again.