Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Little and Yami put it to Farr and his new ride...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little and Yami put it to Farr and his new ride...

I find it rather amusing that i state what i do not like about the new honda and why i think they could have easily done a better job designing it. In return i get comments bashing on me instead of proving my thought wrong. That is why the testy comment fits i suppose. Have fun i am off to play on the track loader for the day. Tearing down the MX track and making the drag strip better.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1986atc250r
What a bunch of old friggen women.

All the Yamaha folks have been saving up and waiting for the Honda to not win a race - they were hoping to unleash at the Baja, but instead had to come up with excuses why the 450R won and the YFZ didn't. It would have been the same way this time had the R won......
I'm still waiting to see a Honda compete and win Pikes Peak!!!!! I wonder why you never see any Honda quads running against the Shee's and the Zilla's!!! After all isnt Pike's peak all about Speed and HP?? Where are all the Prairies???<~~~J/K guys!!!! Calm down!!!!!

Old 01-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

Thomez wrote:
I guess everyone ignored my first post so I'll do it again
Yep - it was ignored, from your previous posts we know that nothing can be as powerful as a Cannondale - so, no need to restate the obvious..... Troll elsewhere...

14mins wrote:
I find it rather amusing that i state what i do not like about the new honda and why i think they could have easily done a better job designing it. In return i get comments bashing on me instead of proving my thought wrong.
It's not that you have items that you don't like about the Honda, it's that you have bad data & have no interest in getting the facts (i.e. you talking about the Honda not having shock reservoirs & I believe I remember you telling others the Honda has a CV carb, which it does not). You continuously spew forth your whining about the Honda (and we all know no matter what they did, you wouldn't have liked it), your gloating, and your smug attitude.

If you simply didn't like some of the things Honda did, that's fine & I doubt anyone has a problem with that. It's the other things mentioned that get you the responses you get (and for some reason, I get the feeling those are the responses you are shooting for).

Old 01-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

14mins needs to take a timeout.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

and then maybe a nap.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: 1986atc250r
Thomez wrote:
I guess everyone ignored my first post so I'll do it again
Yep - it was ignored, from your previous posts we know that nothing can be as powerful as a Cannondale - so, no need to restate the obvious..... Troll elsewhere...

I didn't say that, you did. I simply stated a fact - I have seen probably 2 of the top running MX bikes in the country and I thought they would be more impressive than they were. The Honda did seem to have some low end grunt - Farr rode it low RPM and it blaaaaa'ed out of the corners into the jumps. Natalie revved his YFZ some more but it still didn't get up and go on the straight as I expected. He even expressed his dissappointment in that bike while speaking with my buddy last weekend. I didn't mention anything to compare to, just simply stating - they weren't the rockets on 4 wheels I was expecting them to be.

Dirt bikes still continually impress me - light weight and more power - we as ATVers are getting the shaft.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Gabe can I qoute you on this one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

By the bulk of posts here, I think many of you should have spent more time riding with helmets.....
That would have looked good in my sig [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Dirt bikes still continually impress me - light weight and more power - we as ATVers are getting the shaft.
Have to agree with this also.

Is this one thing the two sides can also agree on???????

Old 01-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Lenny - yes, feel free to quote me in your sig [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I just posted over at your favorite site & am beginning to wonder if the aggregate brainpower over there is equivalent to one normal human mind...

---------------
You didn't need to outright say it in this post Thomez, you've told us that so many times before. Obviously you also begging for someone to notice with your repost in this thread....

I'm still not quite sure why if the TRX and YFZ can't develop the power the CD does, national riders aren't swapping engines or still riding CD's -- after all, they can be found inexpensively these days.

We ATV riders have been shafted over the years getting detuned, "couple year old" dirtbike engines and crappy suspension in our quads - however that is finally beginning to change --- but, if you expect ATVs to perform with dirtbikes you'll always be disappointed.

The problem is to develop power proportionately you will have to go to a larger engine in the ATV, which adds weight and complicates the chassis (larger engines require larger, taller, and/or wider chassis). It seems most in the racing community have found that the 450 4 strokes and 250 class 2 strokes make a nice compromise between power, weight, and chassis considerations.

Old 01-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: aussiequadrider
Originally posted by: garyc660R
Since cashing the big check I hear Farr is more interested in counting his money than riding.
That sort of crap belongs on the toilet wall with the phone # you were writing down.

Geoff.
Is it not obvious that my post was sarcasm? I hope the best for Farr and hope many more top racers get too cash in as well. Imagine how many guys have what it takes, but finances are holding them back. Since the manufacturers are getting in the game and spreading the love maybe this can happen even at the local levels.

Old 01-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Ridley,

First I'd like to agree with most of the first half of your post,.... However, I've got some issues with the 2nd paragraph.

How many times does it have to be said - it is NOT - and I repeat NOT a vacuum operated butterfly carb. It is a fully mechanical round slide/butterfly carb just like what's used in the 400EX, 300EX, 250X, etc. They are fully mechanical and have accelerator pumps. They don't flow as well as an FCR, but that's why they used a 42mm instead of a 39 or 40.

What is your definition of a CV carb if it's not a vacuum operated slide carb? In case you need help, it's a carburetor with a slide on the airbox side and a butterfly on the engine side. The butterfly is operated mechanically by the throttle lever. The slide is operated by engine vacuum. Raptors, LTZ's, DS650s, and many utility quads use CV carbs. No Honda sport quads use CV carbs.

As far as my comments to Thomez - my problem with his comments are, as a former cannondale owner (I guess we also still have a moto in the family), I know what they are and what they are not. I also know the engine and fuel injection fairly intimately as I wrote the EFI tuning software most in the racing community are using to program their EFI.

If Thomez (or yourself) would like to debate technical details of how and why the CD engine & it's EFI will not produce the power CRF and YZ engine do stock for stock, I'll be glad to discuss. However, better have your facts straighter than you do on the TRX.

As far as me being brand loyal - you need to get the facts before you start calling names there as well. Its true, I do race my Honda & it has served me well over the last few years, but you'll find products from all 4 major manufacturers in my garage. I have also raced our Cannondales at events including the 2002 12hrs of America.

Personally, if it weren't for two facts I'd already own a Yamaha - those two reasons are having to replace over $1000 in race wheels, and replacement parts pricing which will cost a *lot* more on the Yamaha over the seasons I would be racing it.

Initially I was also under the impression that my collection of control arms and shocks would also fit - I've since found that the control arms won't, but my shocks likely will. Also my aftermarket axles will likely fit.

I think you'll have a difficult time finding me "bashing" the YFZ - quite the opposite really... Too bad most YFZ people on these forums are such one sided and blinded that they can't even accept the facts presented to them about the competition.

For me, the Honda is a better solution than the YFZ - even if I do have to wait for it, I can still be competitive at the races with my 400EX in the mean time.

You people that think the YFZ is the end all, be all quad to everyone need to grow up a little and realize that everyone's circumstances and requirements are different. There is no perfect quad for everyone.

Quick Reply: Little and Yami put it to Farr and his new ride...