Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How come honda builds lackluster motors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come honda builds lackluster motors?

themez- this whole thread is about the dyno sheet. Hondas make less power across the board than yamaha and other makes also. This started a long time ago. Back in the 250r days the Honda 250r made the least power of the 3. ( tecate and suzuki lt250)

Still can't figure out why honda produces less power. You would think there design team would want that honor too. Knowsalot posted that Hondas recall record is the worst among the players. ( cannondale not included )So we have honda boys that have less power and looks like the reliabily factor is wearing thin.

Since you have better stuff to do than ride that is funny.( you need to put the shovel down, your hole is to deep already) You should get a college education first, this will be here when you get out. ( quads) but it looks to me that you are the 100 percent internet bench racer. You waver way to much. You grasp on the ray of hope of other posters on here. ( hondas) You are starting to look like a chameleon to me and others.

I am labeled a honda basher by many but that is not 100 percent true. I bought my son a 2002 250ex a year ago. Really a honda 229cc ex, honda likes to inflate the numbers like the HP claims.LOL I have a 1985 honda fourtrax 250 utility that has been sitting outside for years. I could probably get it started in less than a hour. Of course stopping it with those drum front brakes is another story.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2004, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

You can look at the recall issue two ways.

The simple minded way - "uhhh, recalls - they must build junk... Hey guys, Watch This!"

Or the way with a little more thought involved - Honda typically recalls any potential problems, no matter how small to take care of their customers and maintain their level of reliability.

I got a recall notice because some machine oil may have made it's way into the braking system. I got it tested, it was OK. No one I know actually suffered from the issue (and I run an e-mail list of over 500 400ex owners), but Honda checked them all to be sure - at their expense.

I bet there's some Raptor owners that wish there was a tranny recall, a starter clutch recall, a carb boot recall, an axle recall, an upper control arm recall, a rear shock recall (should I go on?)....

Heck, I bet there's a lot of Raptor owners that wish Yamaha actually honored their warranties.

Without a recall - you pay for the fix & it gets fixed with the same OEM parts that were flawed and failed in the first place (unless the aftermarket addresses the issue).

Funny you should bring up that Honda 229 (250ex)- How about that YFZ439 if you're going to be ragging on Honda for rounding up.....

Old 02-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what I couldn't figure out, how is recals a bad thing?

Old 02-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1986atc250r

I bet there's some Raptor owners that wish there was a tranny recall, a starter clutch recall, a carb boot recall, an axle recall, an upper control arm recall, a rear shock recall (should I go on?)....
ouch! leave me outa this (I had all those probs LOL)

Old 02-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warrior007
Originally posted by: 1986atc250rI bet there's some Raptor owners that wish there was a tranny recall, a starter clutch recall, a carb boot recall, an axle recall, an upper control arm recall, a rear shock recall (should I go on?)....
ouch! leave me outa this (I had all those probs LOL)
I only have had half of those problems....but some many times...LOL. I have concerns with this thread.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

lol half...

Old 02-09-2004, 03:17 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Whats funny, is according to GT Thunder, there are about a 1HP difference anywhere, but in torque the Honda makes almost 3ft#'s more. This is bone stock. Why argue?
Oh I almost forgot, we need to personally attack each other to make our selves feel better about our selves.
14 and Thomez, the leaders of this insult laden thread, don't even own these quads, and both say they don't want them, see above......

Old 02-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something I am really surprized no one has pointed out is.....

If the trx does produce less #'s on the dyno if not more, they are still close no doubt about it. Look at it this way, If the TRX has 10-? comp. piston and the YFZ has 11-?, and while the Trx is unicam while the Yfz is Double, then wouldn't that be impressive by honda to be able to closely put out the same horsepower as the yfz w/ a less comp. piston and unicam design? Doesn't that make since to anyone else?

Besides, I would think that with the lower compression from the factory, it would leave it with more potential.

I dont really care wich has more power since I mostly do trails, but just wondering if anyone mature agrees.

Old 02-09-2004, 05:50 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

I agree. I hear people saying you have to remove the kicker to make them apples for apples, ect. Well then what will they be when I get my FCR and my 11.5: 1 piston in my 450R? They will be apples and apples, but if they are this close with that much difference in the motor, carb ect, what wil happen then? What wil the agruing be about then?
Thats why we don't need to argue about 1 hp, its lame and shows a lack of maturity.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I was comparing the 450r bike against the quad and it appears the quad has larger valves. 36mm intake compared too 31 and 30 compared too 26. The quad version goes from 12/1 down too 10.5/1. We know about the carb change. Anyone ran down cam specs on the quad and compared them too the bike?
EDIT...the bore and stroke is 94.00 X 64.80 for the quad and 96.00 X 62.1 for the bike. This could be an easy big bore kit for the atv??

Quick Reply: How come honda builds lackluster motors?