Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How come honda builds lackluster motors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How come honda builds lackluster motors?

I like raptors and all, but you will never get one to be a great mx quad. 14mins, to think that a raptor would be a better mx bike than any one of the new 450's. Dude you do not have the best quad in the world. Even if u did, know one would ride w/ u cause your so darn conseeded! Once again I like raptors, but they can't even compete with a Z or ex on the track. The ergos arn't setup right for mx, and it being heavier and all. What do u have against the new honda that make s u trash talk it so bad, can't afford it maybe. Have fun, quit losing sleep over what honda, suzuki, polaris, etc. is making. You know that pic of the retard about arguing on the net, well that is you. lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2004, 09:50 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: motox26
can't afford it maybe.
LOL,

I don't think that is the case.

If he wanted 2 or 3 he could go tomorrow and pick them up.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

COOOOOOOOOOL!
lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So the 450R is not as powerful as the new Yamaha. That doesn't make it a lackluster motor. From what I've seen, cc for cc, it is the Raptor that is lackluster. I'm not trying to talk down anyone's machine here, but I think it should perform better stock and modified.
The only reason the Raptor doesn't absolutely smoke stock is because they are so detuned. Come on now, 9:1 piston. As for the modified part...put a pipe on a Raptor and it's a beast. Up the stock compression and change the cam and it smokes.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Don't start bashing MX Raptors in this thread or I'll get upset. A lot of folks saw little fat kids on YFZs railing around turns without moving their butt and immediately sold their MX Raptors for the superior handling YFZ. According to ebay, most of these "MX Raptors" had +2 a-arms, Works shocks, a Durablue axle, a pipe, and a jet kit. Not exactly what I'd call taking the Raptor to the limit of its MX potential. Cost as an independent variable, I believe a highly modified Open class MX machine will outrun a highly modified Pro-Production class MX machine any day of the week. It takes more muscle/body english to wrestle a Raptor around a MX track but it is absolutely possible to beat YFZs. If you are racing a big event and they have an Open class for quads, Raptors only run against Banshees, DS650s, and Predators. It's not hard to make a MX Raptor that's competitive with that crowd. A Raptor may not have the best handling but neither did a big block Shelby Mustang, you learn to steer with the rear wheels. Until YFZs and 450Rs are over 60 HP on race gas, I'm running my Raptor.

Now get back to bashing the 450R before someone ends up on my list.

Old 01-30-2004, 11:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ubetrun- LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

motox26- Need not worry about my social life. I do rather well.

I have a friend that had a yamaha450 and sold it to get a new honda 450. He has already bought another new Yamaha 450[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

2fastforu- I have a bone stock raptor (2003). Bring a stock 400ex and i will take my chances.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:56 AM
Range Rover

I'm not a brand loyal person, but my response may seem like I am.

Honda is notorious for producing machines that are de-tuned(from the factory) to get good gas milage, low exaust DBs and be reliable as hell(just look at that huge factory silencer on the 450R). When Honda made the 450R they had the aftermarket in mind the whole time. Honda pretty much bases it's designs around aftermarket potential. That is the potential to mod the living Jesus out of the machine.

I don't have proof, but I'm willing to bet that the Honda will react to mods in a way that will make it a superior quad to the Yamaha with the same mods. Honda knows that MX quads are rarely raced in stock trim, as does the rest of us. You will not see a stock 450R against a stock YFZ on the tracks at the Pro level.

Honda builds their quads on a platform that makes it easier for the aftermarket companies to make it go faster.

I like to compare this to the videogame industry. Sure the Gamecube has more muscle than the PS2, but the PS2 is a lot easier to program for and get better results. Thus the PS2 is supported more by 3rd party developers(more games).

The Honda will shine once the racing season is in full swing and it's decked out in all the nice aftermarket stuff.

Old 01-31-2004, 01:02 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Very well said

Old 01-31-2004, 01:28 AM
The Facility

One fact still remains.................

Both the YZ450F and CRF450R bikes have been out for over two years and "built vs built" the Honda 450 can't come close. The Honda just doesn't having the building potential as the Yamaha. Go to any dirtbike forum board and you will find none that disagree with this fact.

The TRX450R and YFZ450 have these same basic engines, so I don't see the scenario being any different with the quads.

And as far as Sparks and others being able to extract power..............nonsense.

All the ATV companies do is copy the same product and procedures that were implemented by the dirtbike companies.

Thumper racing made a living doing modified XR400Rs and didn't even touch ATV engines at the time........and then when the 400EX came out, the ATV companies jumped on the bandwagon.

Same thing with Yoshimura and the DRZ........WE all know where the Z400 mods came from.

Oh......................It's true

Old 01-31-2004, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT
One fact still remains.................

Both the YZ450F and CRF450R bikes have been out for over two years and "built vs built" the Honda 450 can't come close. The Honda just doesn't having the building potential as the Yamaha. Go to any dirtbike forum board and you will find none that disagree with this fact.

The TRX450R and YFZ450 have these same basic engines, so I don't see the scenario being any different with the quads.

And as far as Sparks and others being able to extract power..............nonsense.

All the ATV companies do is copy the same product and procedures that were implemented by the dirtbike companies.

Thumper racing made a living doing modified XR400Rs and didn't even touch ATV engines at the time........and then when the 400EX came out, the ATV companies jumped on the bandwagon.

Same thing with Yoshimura and the DRZ........WE all know where the Z400 mods came from.

Oh......................It's true
KNOWSALOT, You are absolutely 100% correct on that post!!!! Thats the best post yet about this topic!!!! Owning MODIFIED yzf dirtbikes, I know for a fact that the honda with the EXACT mods that I have to my bike will produce less power!!!!!! After all honda did build their 450 to compete with yamaha's "426"!!!!!! Before these 4 strokes were built, all we had for pure MX racing was 2 strokes!!! The yamaha offers that kind or a power hit with the reliability and low end grunt in a 4 stroke engine!!!!!!! It seems to me that YAMAHA here recently has been the one to build the machine to have the other companies scrambling around to produce something to match it!!! Examples..........Rincon, TRX450R, CRF450R, CRF250r, etc!!! Course Yamaha isnt ALWAYS first either, but it seems Honda is playing catch up instead of the other companies!!!!! Another thing, Yamaha offers more products than honda does in the sports machines categories, compare this......

Yamaha:
1. Warrior
2. Banshee
3. Blaster
4. Raptor
5. Wolverine
6. YFZ450

Honda:
1. 300EX
2. 400EX
3. TRX450R
4. 250EX

Suzuki:
1. Z400

Polaris:
1. Scramblers
2. Predator

Kawi:
1. Lakota 300
2. Mojave
3. KXF400
4. VForce

and so on......get the point, look at the machines Yamah offers!!!

Quick Reply: How come honda builds lackluster motors?