Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How come honda builds lackluster motors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come honda builds lackluster motors?

What are you referring too?

Old 01-30-2004, 05:01 AM
Pro Rider

I cant make up my mind.

I want to buy a superbike as I want to get into track riding. Im torn between the Yamaha R6 and the Honda CBR600.
I know the R6 performs better, but the CBR looks better. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I tend to respect Honda better when it comes to road bikes,
Yamaha hands down when it comes to quads.

I dont want......I NEED more fast toys!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: McFly
I cant make up my mind.

I want to buy a superbike as I want to get into track riding. Im torn between the Yamaha R6 and the Honda CBR600.
I know the R6 performs better, but the CBR looks better. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I tend to respect Honda better when it comes to road bikes,
Yamaha hands down when it comes to quads.

I dont want......I NEED more fast toys!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Then you have answered the question for yourself, you "NEED" fast toys!!! "I know the R6 PERFORMS BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

One word. RELIABILITY. That's why Honda makes engines that run like hairy tacos. BUT, the right engine builder can make a Honda run like a brazilian!

Seriously though... look at some of the obvious. What kind of cars do you see running the mountains in European mountain races? Japanese hondas. Honda debuted the TRX450R at Baja MOSTLY STOCK and won. Hmmmm......

The real test will be in Pro Production this season. The irony is at the first stadium race, Keith Little beat Farr and Gust on the new factory rides by riding a what? That's right, old blue.

Old 01-30-2004, 12:48 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

14 mins post says that for $200 you can make the Raptor change from lackluster to wild, which is true, but do you all know how much it would cost to make a Raptor as light and Handle like a 450R? Its not even possible. To each his own, right?

Old 01-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Range Rover

[quote]
Originally posted by: Daren420
So the 450R is not as powerful as the new Yamaha. That doesn't make it a lackluster motor. From what I've seen, cc for cc, it is the Raptor that is lackluster. I'm not trying to talk down anyone's machine here, but I think it should perform better stock and modified.

I agree. Just because it's not perfect doesn't mean it's a pile of $h!t. If they made quads exactly equal and didn't offer any aftermarket parts. What would have to rely on?? Reliability, craftsmanship, and handling. And The raptor is kind of a lackluster motor if you ask me. I jump from my 400ex to my buddy's 01 Raptor and his needs some major maintnance and tuning. And then i'll jump on my other buddy's 03' Raptor that has a few mods. And that's a wake up call. But when I jump from my EX to my buddy's 01. There isn't a whole lot of difference. Mine gets beaten on and so does his, but i make sure i have my tuned up on a regular basis.

Old 01-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

KGB- A raptor handle? LOL What for?

I have ridden many honda quads and do not think they handle etter than my raptor, but then again i have 1500 dollars worth of shocks and a wider axle and a different swing arm.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The raptor would be my last choice for a mx track, actually next to last. I put the new 450 honda below it. I would rather have the power and pay to get the handling.

Old 01-30-2004, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kyperman
Honda and Yamaha, both good rides, so ride what you like......quit fighting.
yes! I think it's hard enough to find people even local that race or ride quads....atleast around here. im sure if any of us got in a heated debate here and then met in glamis or wherever the following weekend it would mean nothing to either party and we'd get along

Old 01-30-2004, 04:32 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Good Point 14mins.lol

Old 01-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

I have ridden many honda quads and do not think they handle etter than my raptor, but then again i have 1500 dollars worth of shocks and a wider axle and a different swing arm.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: How come honda builds lackluster motors?