Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default banshee flywheel

Originally posted by: JakalWarrior
It makes the motor react faster but when your going slow through tight trees or trying to creep through mud without making a mess, its not so fun anymore. I removed about 70% of my flywheel (rd motor is a lil dif, can remove more) and I still plan on riding it in the woods about half the time, but im a dummy and ill admit it. Im sure 190 exhaust duration and almost no flywheel will be plenty fun in the woods [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Well see if im sorry when I get it together soon as my darn pistons come in.
That is a lot of weight I only had like 8 ounces of it removed.

Old 02-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default banshee flywheel

dabeechman is right it doesnt give any hp but it allows the engine to make its hp faster. it removes rotating mass from the engine so the engine can make its rpms faster which eguels more tourque. i no on my polaris i can have 2.5 pounds removed and this will also remove battery and starter which im going to do and it allows the engine to rev extremely quick and lets you get to top speed a hell of a lot quicker.

Old 02-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default banshee flywheel

dabeechman said that it causes a loss of torque not a gain

Old 02-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default banshee flywheel

Originally posted by: tbsleeper
dabeechman is right it doesnt give any hp but it allows the engine to make its hp faster. it removes rotating mass from the engine so the engine can make its rpms faster which eguels more tourque. i no on my polaris i can have 2.5 pounds removed and this will also remove battery and starter which im going to do and it allows the engine to rev extremely quick and lets you get to top speed a hell of a lot quicker.
WTF?

On the flywheel mod....you will not loose or gain a measurable number. A lighter crank tends too have less "inertia" or "momentum" than a heavier one. WHats this mean? The bike will stall easier, but can potentially rev faster.

Old 02-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default banshee flywheel

On the flywheel mod....you will not loose or gain a measurable number. A lighter crank tends too have less "inertia" or "momentum" than a heavier one. WHats this mean? The bike will stall easier, but can potentially rev faster.[/quote]

Thank you, I never said that ig gains any hp but it sure dosent lose any either. In theory it should stall more but it dosen't on a banshee if done correctly. Go to www.Bansheehq and read about it. Many people have it done to all kinds of banshees. You can talk to other people there that do them and find all your answers.

Old 02-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default banshee flywheel

People on bansheeHQ arent the most knowledgable people id talk to when it comes to cutting stuff up. Generally a heavier flywheel will produce more torque then a lightened one. THIs IS A PROVEN FACT. If you ever get the chance to go to any of the sand drag nationals, take a look at the stock stroke drag 350 banshee's. They use the stock flywheel to help them get out of the hole because they arent waisting their power by lightening flywheels. YES the motor will rev faster, but the 8 ounces you take off isnt a big enough difference to help, but rather hurt. Now if you had a modified banshee that is ported, or aftermarket cylinders, id recommend it a little more since they produce overall more power

Old 02-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default banshee flywheel

[i]Now if you had a modified banshee that is ported, or aftermarket cylinders, id recommend it a little more since they produce overall more power
I does have more effect when modded more. The reason I did it now is because I was getting the head shaved by the same person so I figured I'd get it done now. Port and stroker are in future plans.

Old 02-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default banshee flywheel

You actually can gain some power from the lower rotating assembly mass. I was talking with my mechanic though and he said on modded to the max mini sprint motors they only gain about 3-7hp when they completely remove the flywheel. They do it anyway though to make it hold together better at really high rpms and for better acceleration out of the corners.