Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

FREAKIN DANG POP UP ADDS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FREAKIN DANG POP UP ADDS!!!

Use Mozilla Firebird, I've had it for about a year and haven't had a single pop up come through it, plus you don't get those toolbars that are just as annoying as popups. The open in new tab feature is great too for surfing multiple sites. It also has a built in search engine I also have Spybot, I'm not sure it would help the popups by itself since I installed mozilla a while before i got it.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Pop ups are not just a problem of internet explorer. They are an abuse of javascript which is available on all modern browsers (if it were not, the web would be a very different, less friendly place).

Pop ups come up on your computer for either or both of two reasons -
1) You have software running on your computer (that you are likely unaware of) that is serving you ads (i.e. some trojan program or virus that you should eliminate)

2) The webpage you are viewing is serving your machine javascript instructing your browser to open a pop-under window.

You can fix reason number 1 by running an anti-spyware/adware program like AdAware, and by running anti-virus software such as Norton or AVG. Make sure both are updated frequently.

You can fix reason number 2 by running proxy type software like google toolbar, proxomitron, or any of a number of others to filter out the javascript that is used to create the pop-under window before it gets to your browser (most favorable option), or by running a browser that has this type of software built in (less favorable option for reasons mentioned below).

The problem with running a different browser is they all have different capabilities and implementations of CSS, Javascript, HTML, etc. The situation this causes is since IE is so popular (well over 90% of web users use it), most web designers taylor their websites to it & don't bother even testing with other browsers - meaning when using a different browser, many times things don't look or work right.

It's not that IE is better, it's just that the bulk of internet users use it since it is pre-installed on their machine, therefore if you're a web designer, you MUST taylor your site to work well with it if you want to be successful.

Another problem of built in brower pop up blockers is lack of adjustability - some of the stand alone pop up blockers are very configurable & very functional (also blocking banner ads, flash ads, and various other internet irritations).

I was a hardcore Netscape/Mozilla holdout for a very long time (and still have NS installed on several of my systems & use it for e-mail), finally I submitted and reluctant IE user. I'd still love to see another browser break into the market, but it's just like the OS and PC markets, unless you want to live with incompatability problems, or you want to make some sort of political statement, IE is your best bet currently.

Old 04-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

I'm still having heck with the dang pop ups.......at first the ad aware 6.0 worked great............
now I'm using ad aware 6.0, NAV 2003, and Spybot search and destry
I update all of them and run them atleast once a day......and I still have tons of pop ups........
what gives?.........this is getting really old.........

if this helps, when I run ad aware it always finds SEVERAL "Tracking Cookies"
I would say a minimum of about 10 a day........

Old 04-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Alright bigscary i have smething that isant really a pop up stopper.. Its like a updated microst explorer... its called mozilla It will guard cookies witch generate popups.. It may guard certain sites though too..Mozilla download page .. use mozilla unstead of jmicrost explorer

PS.. there is ways to completely clear your cookies... go to my computer, c drive, documents and settings, Then owner or whatever the name is that you are on, then cookies. If you have never cleared your cookies there is a good possibilty that you gavce about 900 to 3000.. Your pages may load a little slower since there not saved on the cpmp anymore but you will see a major reduce in popups. If you have cable you will be fine.. send them all to yuor recycling bin then clear your recicling bin. (to get them all copied you could hold in shift and and go over to the side of the page then hold down while holding shift.... once you get to the bottom right click on any of them and hit delete..

Old 04-18-2004, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

Your cookies will also be turned off so you woint have anymore.. you will have to put your password and username back into the connections so you can relog in

Old 04-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

ok i mentioned mozilla to you like 3 months ago, lol come on man what happend? it works great and i havnt seen a pop up in like 5 months. mozila also has something new out its called like mozial fire bird or something. im getting my copm re-built and going to get ride of IE and just use mozila

Old 04-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

I know mozzilla is king hjust use it breother LOL