Raptor vs. New 450's??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor vs. New 450's??

Originally posted by: MNRAP
Originally posted by: DieScarred
Correct. And MNRAP, you will fall very behind once that rash on your a$$ kicks, and to get your wedgy loose. LOL. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I can't even get a Rappy to line up with me to shoot up China wall or Olds in Glamis .. wonder why?

Rappys had there time in history.. until the summer of the 2003 when the YFZ was introduced.. and I am sure in a few years the YFZ will have have its legacy come to an end also.
You've really gotten full of yourself and that YFZ haven't you? I'm planning on goin to glamis this spring break, I'll line up with you.

Old 03-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

[i]Originally posted by: BigBubba

You've really gotten full of yourself and that YFZ haven't you? I'm planning on goin to glamis this spring break, I'll line up with you.
Sounds like the facts about these two bikes has you all twisted up! Yes I now how hard it is to sell a used bike (your Raptor) with a ton of mods that you spent a fortune on and now they are worth pennies on the dollar so you can upgrade to newest technology! You could however remain on most aftermarket companies preferred customer lists and continue to purchase all those high profit margin parts to ensure your bike doesn't become obsolete.

Old 03-04-2004, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

What did that have to do with anything?? I plan on keeping my bike for a very long time and I dont worry and/or care about how much I can get out of it later. Just to prove a point, I did the same thing with a Warrior of mine before the Rappys came out and ended up getting $4,500 out of it when I sold it. Thats not bad if ya ask me, prolly couldn't get more than 4k for a close to stock one.

Old 03-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

So your saying the Raptor is more comfortable thasn the YFZ? I heard that they YFZ can beat the 660 in a race even with its little 450cc engine? How can that be? Another thing....abnout how fast do each go??

Old 03-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

It may be a fact that the raptor is slower with bolt on's. However it is not obsolete. When heavly modded it will be faster then a yfz will ever be. The yfz will respond to mods really will but it's potential is limited. I'm not sure that there is or will be one over around 75 hp. correct me if i am wrong. The engine is just really high tuned from factory while the raptors big engine is tuned rather poorly. As long as there is aftermarket support it never has to be obsolete.

Look at the shee like 17 years and counting and still kickin a$$.

Old 03-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2004LEBANSHEE

Look at the shee like 17 years and counting and still kickin a$$.
Isnt that the truth!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

A yfz is a full blown racer end of story he said he wants fast trailriding. Thats why they made raptors. Yes banshees still are monsters. The low end in a raptor is just what ur looking for and with a few mods say about 700 put in by bolt on and jet u should beat yfz's. Theres no replacment for displacement. Think of it like that. Amen to the detuned i hear a lot of crazy things about how badly tuned those are. Put it this way a yfz is kinda borred right when you buy it. when a rappy is still normal with the monsterous power. there both great machines but if he said i want to race a yfz is what he would get. For the whole raptors are heavy thing there really not. i would take 60 pounds extra for 210 cc anyday.

JBOMB

Old 03-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone says the yfz's are highly tuned. This is from eskimo.com

"The YFZ-450 is quite an amazing machine and it puts out a lot of power just the way it sits stock. What you may not realize,

is that the motor for the 450 was a high powered dirt bike motor that changed the world of racing! It ws a 4 stroke that could outperform many two strokes! Yamaha built a quad around this motor and put it into the 450 quad. That motor put out around 50 horsepower, and was thought to be too powerful for a quad sold to the general public! Yamaha went to several quad shops and builders, like ALBA, gathered preferences and chose to make a quad with about 40 hp for general public safety. History and accident records found the Quadzilla a major accident producer and it put out easily 50 H.P. They did not want to make another quadzilla, which had to be withdrawn from the market, but they DID want a quad that would win the races! So REVERSIBLE POWER was focused on. For the racers who could handle it.

Regardless of reason, Yamaha wanted to cut the power back on the 450, so they put a raptor exhaust on it and made it very restrictive (AND QUIET!) the stock 450 is amazingly quiet at 82 decibels, it passes the most stringent noise requirements in every state. To cut backpressure, they just restricted the air filter also and these two changes brought the quad down to about 44 p, still too much!

The engineers then decided to change the exhaust cam also and this lost about 5 horsepower, and was just enough for general sale."

So if yamaha would have put the orignal motor in the fourwheeler frame it would be making like 50hp. So i dont think it is as "highly tuned" as everyone says they are.