Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

want more power.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 02:21 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want more power.

okay guys. I want you to get in my shoes and tell me what you would do. As usual I would like more power. Take a look at my signature and tell me what you would do next. Money is a concern but spent in the right place and you know you have done the right thing.

Most of my riding is done on the sand. Comp hill mostly. The only thing I really worry about is reliability. I have so many other things going on in my life ( little league baseball, auto racing, wife, kids, work, wife, riding, wife) that I dont wanna have to work on the bike every weekend. Other than little adjustments and tuning.

All ideas are appreciated and welcomed. thanks in advance.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2004, 02:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default want more power.

If your exhaust isn't a full system, I would get the header for the pipe. If it is a full system, I would look at getting a better set of carb's. FCR's, Edelbrock or something to that effect. I made a post about carb's a little while ago, and I'm hoping to get some good info from the forum's. Keep up on it, and maybe you can get a idea of what you want.

But the carb's will definetly give you some extra HP, more throttle response, and better acceleration through the power band.

Old 03-13-2004, 02:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default want more power.

You could also go to a Stage 2 Hotcam.

Old 03-13-2004, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default want more power.

I agree, I see in your pictures that its just the slip on, so a header is a good start to begin with. The Carbs will definately get you an awesome gain, with repsonse, power, anything you want, just a great mod to do to the bike. Yamaha660R pretty much nailed it down for me. Probably for you too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2004, 02:36 AM
Range Rover
Default want more power.

I wasnt really sure the headpipe made that much of a difference but many people know more than I do. Now that you mention it, Im not sure I can buy the correct headpipe for this silencer. hmmm.

If I were to get the stage 2 cam would I have to change valvesprings as well?

Old 03-13-2004, 02:37 AM
Range Rover
Default want more power.

yep he is steering me in the direction I was kinda leaning. Just wanted some input from those that know more than me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2004, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default want more power.

I agree....go to a good full system.....you wouldn't believe what I gained going to my full system coming from a slip on........
on my stock bore built motor..........
it felt like a whole new bike......

Old 03-13-2004, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default want more power.

You got it right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You will have to change your valve springs if you go Stage 2 cam. You can get stage 2 hot cam with valve springs right right here.

I have an E-Series, also WB, and any WB header will work. So yes, you do have a header for your pipe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2004, 02:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default want more power.

A E Series Header will fit your R4 pipe. And with your built motor, with the port work, the aftermarket headers will improve flow. So that will help.

If you go with the Stage 2, you upgrade the valve springs, and that will be out of the way to. The Stage 2 will move your power to the mid and top end of your power curve. Definetly a good upgrade.

And the carb's will improve you all the way around.

Old 03-13-2004, 02:53 AM
Range Rover
Default want more power.

DieScarred- Thanks for the replies and the link. Kinda worried me seeing a tractor on the front page but found what you were talking about after a little searching.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Yamaha660R- Thanks again. looks like the headpipe and cam &springs will be the next mods. Not sure I can afford the carbs yet. NOTE the wife and kids part in my first post lol

BigScary- isnt it awesome to feel the newfound power after a mod?

one more thing for all of you, what do you think about reliability if I was to keep the stock bore and go with the new cam and springs with the headpipe?

Quick Reply: want more power.