Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Travel trailer or toyhauler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 02:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travel trailer or toyhauler?

Travel trailer or toyhauler? I got the green light to buy one or the other. I plan on pulling it with my dodge 1500 crew cab. It has the small v-8 in it. (235hp) I keep changing my mind from one to the other. I plan on spending 15k or less. I looked at some 18-24 foot travel trailers that were new or a year old. They all look perfect and have well laid out interiors. The weights ranged from 4000 to 4600 pounds. Then i looked at toy haulers that weighed the same, cost more and offered less.

70 percent of the time i will be by my self, and throw the quad in the bed of my truck and a spare quad on a friends trailer if i plan on taking 2 quads
25 percent of the time it is going to be my son and i. I was thinking of putting a reciever plat form on the back of the travel trailer and that is where his quad will go.
5 percent of the time it will be my wife, son and i. On those trips it it involve other people so i figure hauling the 3rd quad will not be much of a challenge. ( somebody else will haul it for me)

Over the next few years we ( the wife, kid and i) are planning on goin a few places and the travel trailer will be nice for those occasions, compared to a toy hauler.

If the dodge will not pull the trailer the dodge will be replaced. So the budget is 15k or less what would you do given these questions?

Old 04-14-2004, 02:38 AM
Quad Patrol

Your in a situation that a travel trailer will work for you. It sounds like the travel trailers you looked at offered more for the money then a toy trailer. With 3 quads, you can buy or build a rack to haul two quads in the back of your truck and if you put a rack on the back of the trailer, you can haul your third quad if you need too. I have that set up going right now, I have a picture in my photo gallery, it's just not that good.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply. I hope to have enough free time this saturday to go get one. There is a huge dealer 45 miles from me that has well over a 100 chioces for me to weed through.

Old 04-14-2004, 04:12 AM
Trailblazer

I know this is not what you asked about but, how about a motor home and a 3 or 4 place trailer? It will meet all the above needs and not depend on other people going. I am making one assumption, that there are some inexpensive motor homes available down there. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

snowtoy- The wife said 10 more years before the diesel pushing Provost motorhome is in the driveway. I told here to put back 75k a year and maybe we can make a large down payment.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

that is a tuffy, 14 mins.
i wish you were closer so you could buy my trailor, lol.
i can tell ya, the dodge, is it a 1500, or a dacoda? either will have no problem pulling a trailor under 5000 lbs.
i personally would go with the tow behind camper, and bed the quad. you can always get a set up to stack 2 quads in the bed. the leveling bars on a camper will allow for adjustment for weight in the bed. a toy hauler is pritty much useless for anything other that quadding, and the limited space keeps it quite cramped while not on the dunes/trails. the tow behind is usefull on all ocasions, including quadding. it is more all around friendly for quadding and family affairs.
my advice on ammenties in a camper. get duel purpose hot water heater connections. ( gas OR electric to heat water) much nicer, and alot easier.
get an outside shower, if for nothing else but rincing off the kids before they get into the camper and drag sand everywhere.
get a refridgerator with gas and electric operating. keeps food cold while on the road.
by tie downs for the awning, or be prepared to replace it once a big wind gets ahold of it. i have a screen room with mine, and LOVE IT.
make sure there is t.v. hookup, and throw one in it. on a rainy day, it can save the kids, lol.
have the stabilizers welded to the frame, its much easier.
get a power jack for the front, or be prepared to crank alot while setting up and breaking down, lol.
have them set it up with duel battry,s. it can last up to 3 days with duels, as long as no ac is used!
buy the best stabilizers they have, dont settle for weak crap.
get a hitch system with duel antysway bars. it costs a little more, but when the first 40 mph wind his ya, you will be happy!
sorry so long, just trying to help. i got all this on mine, and constantly see other campers without it, fighting with stupid crap that was unnecassary in the first place.
good luck on whatever you buy!

Old 04-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

mitch660- Thanks for all the info. There was a lot of stuff in your post that i have never thought about.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:13 AM
Trailblazer

Take a look over at www.Irv2.com and www.rv.net/forums Both have a toy hauler sections. My concern is the Truck. 1500 and a small V8. There are 2 weights you need to watch. GCWR and GVWR. The first is the total combined weight of the truck, trailer and gear. The second is the weight of the truck and anything in it. (gear, tongue weight, passengers, fuel) It is possible to exceed the GVWR and be under the GCWR. Make sure your truck as a tow package and a tranny cooler. Also, you'll need a brake controller.