Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Clutch Tecnique

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Tecnique

I got a raptor and a month ago.. and i have been playing around with the clutch taking of, doing wheelies, coming out of corners. I guess what my question is, what isn't good on the clutch? Is there any certain thing that will burn it up faster than normal? This is the first atv i have had with a clutch and i don't want to screw it up. Is it bad to ease it out like half way when taking slow corners like to just give it enough to move but not take off like normal.. did that make sense? i'm sure everyone has their way of doing things, i was just wondering what the "proper" clutch tecnique is..

Old 04-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Tecnique

I think the Raptor has a pretty good stock clutch. All clutches will wear out after a certain amount of time. The less you slip the clutch the longer it will last. I have been riding and racing on my stock clutch for 2 full years now and it still feels great. You will be fine for quite a while unless you are CONSTANTLY slipping the clutch or "riding the clutch".

RR1

Old 04-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Tecnique

Best rule of thumb = The less you use it the longer it will last . engaging and disengaging = you dont want to take to long when you start to feel the clutch pull the plates are rubbing agaist each other and they continue until you release the lever . But dont be afraid to use it . If your riding tight course pull it in when you need to come off the power or if you need to bring the RPM's up quick . Most of all enjoy the RIDE and if it wears out put in a better set up .
My 2 cents worth

Old 04-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Tecnique

Due to the wet nature of an atv clutch, slipping it isn't as bad on it as say your truck. It won't overheat from slipping and so on. Don't get me wrong, slipping the clutch will shorten its lifespan but don't be afraid to use it. Slipping the clutch in corners, for wheelies, etc.. no big deal. The big thing to remember when dealing with a clutch is don't "drop" it. Alot of drag racers like to rev their engines up and completely let go of the clutch at once, "dropping" the clutch. This is the best way in the world to cause serious damage to not only the clutch but the bottom end of you motor. Happy riding.

~HoundDog