Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

snowmobile's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2000, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Backcountry,

Thanks for the contact. I will touch base with your friend soon about his used sled.

Man I would have never thought, a Honda guy possibly purchasing a Polaris product. LOL

It is a snowmobile after all. I have heard that the quality of Polaris snowmobiles is better than their ATV & PWC.

Old 08-01-2000, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Grizzzzzz, I'm in the same boat. I drive out of my garage on my sled or bike and I can go basically anywhere in the country! Although I enjoy my mud-time and off-road adventures on the quad, my true passion is 115 MPH on my Polaris XC760 when it's 10 below. You can't compare the acceleration from 0-60 in just over 3 seconds and catching big air to 4-wheeling. My 1998 Polaris started it's life as a stock 700 twin and has grown to become a 760 twin putting out 140 H.P. in a 480 lb. package. That, my friend, is the cat's a$$! My 4 wheeler is basically my link to sanity while waiting for winter to return!

Old 08-03-2000, 02:38 AM
Trailblazer

I've been a sled-head most of my life. Grew up in Minnesota. My first ride was on a '66 ski-doo 10 hp which belonged to my grandfather. I then rode a '68 "wooden shoe" Ski-doo Olympic 16 horse for a while which could top out at about 45 mph. After that I got an Arctic Cat Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word , 1973 model 440 CC and after that an Arctic El Tigre 400. Got out of the sport for awhile and moved to California and now Arizona. Always looking for a substitute for the joy of riding snowmobiles. Not much snow in AZ when it's 100 degrees all the time. So, I tried jet skis, and they were close, but not quite there. Now I bought the Kodiak, and well it is great fun riding, in my opinion, it is not quite up to the snowmobiling experience. I envy those who live in areas where you can ride both! Miss the Snow.

Old 08-03-2000, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

I used to snowmobile when I was younger...I have to admit they are fast. I get to ride a buddies sled from time to time.... I just can't justify the cost vs. Amount of time it can be ridden. New sleds are way more costly than a wheeler...and repairs are out of control.
I used to help out in a small engine repair shop a friend owned. He used to love to see the sleds pulling in....A simple pipe and clutch mod will run you a grand or more...he laughed all the way to the bank. Then again, when they came back in 2 weeks for summer prep.

I live in NY..and my neighbor got maybe a month worth of riding out of it. Then more payments and back in the garage. There was also a comment made about them being more challenging to ride than wheelers.... I guess I would have to really own one before I could comment...but no shifting....Big long couch like seat....basically sit there and ride. I've seen them do wheelies and jumps.... But ? It's just not the dirt.

If someone wants to give me one for free...I'll take it though....It could be fun....and it never hurts to add to the collection.

Just my 2 cents

Old 08-03-2000, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Had a 98 A.C ZL 500 it did a true 90 mph but it was to much money tied up for the short 2 month sled riding season.The Quad is only stored away for 2 months not 10 like the sled which cost $7000.

Old 08-05-2000, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

I have an 89' Banshee (to many mods to list) and a 98' Polaris XCR 440sp. This past winter was a blast when the guy I was riding with bitched that he couldn't get away from me, he was riding a 99' MXZ 600. I enjoy giving the big motor guys fits. It will run with anything on the trail, and keep up with all the 600's on the lake. It's stock except for a Hot Seat clutch kit, Digitron EGT gauge, and 120 saber studs. I too have been getting the itch lately to ride the sled. First I am going to freshen up the motor with some new ceramic coated pistons and maybe higher compression domes. If anybody knows anybody that makes Hipo parts for this thing still, please let me know.
eric

Old 08-05-2000, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

roderick
Question why the 144 instead of 151,I'm waiting to see what winter brings but may move up to 800 with long track.I ride 700 RMK now and am happy with it but want the 151 inch track so will get the 800.The wife rides 600RMK it's 99 very fast machine will give stock 700 a run for it's money till top end.They are all good machines,I think they polaris ride is the worse but they are improveing.Cat has good machine,it's low slung so corners good polaris next then Yamaha sits higher.I can't tell you where Doo is.If'n I had to make choice Quads hands down,like mobiles but Quads better.CM

Old 08-06-2000, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

i got this page off of someone at these forums a while back looks like these might be the fastest hehe.
http://www.redlinesnowmobiles.com/pages/home.html
225 hp hehe 1300 cc light as hell. greatest looking bad ***.

If you ever get a chance to test ride Redline's new 1300 Revolt, you had better think twice. Because once you do, chances are, you will never be satisfied with what you are riding now. And just what makes the Revolt® so good? First the Revolt has the largest engine displacement of any snowmobile currently produced. While the Revolt's 1294cc engine boasts 55 HP more than any production sled, it weighs in at less than most 500's. A power to weight ratio unparalleled in the Snowmobiling Industry. The Revolts 225 Horsepower engine is a Liquid Cooled Three Cylinder, Two Cycle, powerhouse with Case Reed Valve Induction. This machine comes with Electronic Fuel Injection or Mikuni Flat Slide TM 40MM-3 Carbs.
The Revolt comes standard with Redline’s T-15 suspension. With 15" of true vertical travel there's nothing to slow you down. The rear shock is mounted under the hood for quick, unobstructed access. Positioning the shock out of the track protects the shock from the elements and also lowers overall unsprung weight. Standard setup includes 10" of bump travel and 5" of droop. The rider can easily adjust this ratio depending upon the type of riding conditions encountered. This aggressive suspension keeps the track in contact with the ground and the sled moving forward while soaking up the bumps like nothing you’ve ever experienced. The T-15 is also equipped with a mechanism that allows the rider to partially couple or fully couple the rail depending upon the type of terrain the rider is experiencing.

Double A-Arm Front Suspension. The Revolt utilizes a parallel unequal length double a-arm front suspension design. We've found that quite simply nothing works better. Our design utilizes long arms and Bilstein coil-over remote reservoir, 36mm aluminum body shocks (46mm optional.) True vertical travel measures 12" (8" of bump and 4" of droop) ensures that the Revolt’s skis stay on the ground and hooked up.

Its available with a standard 136" or 141" track and a frame construction capable of accepting up to a 2" track lug. In this day of extreme riding you will have plenty of sled to grow into. So weather you are bashing down the trail setting new speed records or Highmarking slopes that haven’t even been dreamed of, get ready because the Revolt will change your reality.

Return to the top