Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

bad to ride hard during break in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad to ride hard during break in?

does anyone have an answer to that ? plz!

Old 05-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

yes its bad. sometimes very bad.

Old 05-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

There are mixed feelings on the proper way to do a break in on a new machine......

Of course the main goal is to properly seat the rings (and valves on a 4stroke). After owning many different machines, I'll tell you that I have tried both ways for break in and don't see any performance difference or extra longevity out of the engine if I break it in slow or fast.

Of course I don't hammer on it right off the start on a fresh top end...But I do get on it....It usually takes me an hour to break in a two stroke....3 20 minute bouts and then it's ready...but that's just me.

I'm sure others will tell you different stories.

However you do it...make sure the engine is good and warmed up first.

Old 05-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

No it' not bad. Warm it up and have at it. Never had a problem.

Old 05-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Follow the manufacturer's instructions for breaking it in. They put the instructions in there for a reason, because they want to reduce the amount of warranty claims. It takes time for all the moving parts to polish themselves. Things will wear out quicker if you don't.

Just think - on a new car they recommend breaking it in over the first 1000-5000 miles. This is necessary to seat the rings and valves. Performance and fuel economy will suffer if it is not broken in properly.

I would like to see someone take 2 stock quads, break one in slow, one really hard and fast, and then dyno them. I bet there would be a difference.

JMO,

RR1

Old 05-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

that would be pretty interesting to see

Old 05-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Range Rover

its been done and ill dig up the website. a hard break in will give you more power and all around performance. but the drawback is like guys before me said it will not last as long, if you wear things in the way you intend to ride it thats what your going to get. if you break a motor in per owners manual you will get slightly less power but significantly more longevity out of your motor. but always remember reguardless of if its broke in or not always let the engine warm up before taking off thats the quickest way to snap a ring or spin a bearing. its called cold seizing the motor. I did the 3 20 minute things to my new banshee then did a moderate break in getting on it kinda heavy but not like i intended to ride and mine is working great thus far. now my KFX 700 i broke in hard and i have run like modded other 700's and it seems to perform better then those. bottem line ride it the way you can afford to run it

Old 05-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
No it' not bad. Warm it up and have at it. Never had a problem.
its not bad ehh.... go buy urself a 2 stroke and get on it once u get it, the life of the motor is determined on the brek in, if u want a rebuild every month then go and do that

Old 05-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

yea my stock warrior( broke in hard) keeps right with and soemtimes pases some or most piped only warriors( jstu a few over here)

Old 05-08-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Never go at one speed. Vary your revs and your speed and dont hammer it too hard off the start. as you ride more and more you can snap the throttle and pop the clutch a little bit more. i wouldnt recommend breaking it in too hard. i am just paranoid of recking my engine.

Quick Reply: bad to ride hard during break in?