Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior problem Pleease help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 01:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior problem Pleease help!!!

okay I have tried load testing the battery and charging it, and everything like that, but still my warrior doesn't want to start everytime. I have checked every electrical connection for corrosion and made they are all nice and clean and still it didn't do anything. I have a feeling that my timing chain is a little stretched because I checked it and it was off the mark about quarter inch, so i think i might try getting a timing chain for it. Does anyone know if i will be able to change the timing chain without pulling the flywheel off?? because I don't have a puller for it. just wondering.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 93 Warrior with a complete top end rebuild with the exact same problem. I do not believe it is a timing problem. One person I talked too said it has to be a electrical problem due to the fact that it starts immediately when push starting. Mine will ocassionally start with the electric start, but normally it is right when I let off the start button it will fire. Due to this fact he told me possibly the starter is taking too much juice and the coil is not getting enough? I have a high compression piston and cam so it turns over even harder. Otherwise he told me to check all electrical components or possibly the pick-up that reads the flywheel is too far from the flywheel, there is a spec for this. I also have a 2001 Warrior that I am going to try swapping parts, but have not gotten around to it yet. Back to your question you do not need to pull the flywheel to change the timing, just take the sprocket off the cam and adjust, but if it has not been taken apart that should not be the problem. Hope this helps, if you figure it out please let me know, or if I do I'll post you .

Old 05-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

Genepeto, my brother has a Warrior that was having that problem. His ended up being a starter. Take your starter out and hook it to a battery and see if it spins freely. You might have some gunk in it and it does not spin fast enough to crank the engine over. He had to take his old one in and have it taken apart and cleaned, but eventually he just bought a new one off Ebay for $109.00.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I already cleaned out the starter and it seems to work okay. But there is also something wierd that happens to the warrior. When I try and get it started by spraying gas into the carburetor it doesn't sart at all. It almost like all the gas that is being sprayed in is leaking out of the valves or something like that...

Old 05-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

usually when u spray gas directly into the carb it should start almost immediately right???

Old 05-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

Try some starting fluid. Gas won't work like starting fluid. I would assume by gas leaking out the valves you have a bigger problem on your hands. Maybe there is a bad seal or something somewhere.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

okay still i'm having no luck with my quad. But i did find one thing out on the thing. I found out that the neutral switch is no good, would this affect how easily the atv will start or not??