Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

It's gone again :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004 | 09:28 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default It's gone again :(

Well...I took my bike out to the coast today after tightening my head down (which did fix my coolent leak), getting new tie rods, regearing, and new paddle tires.

After the second run up the face I noticed that the bike started vibrating a little more than usual. I just figured it was the new 10 paddle haulers I bought making more vibration but then the fun noise started happening, a VERY LOUD knocking coming from the bottom end. After that I shut it off ASAP and had a friend tow me in. The bike runs and starts perfect but when it is running it vibrates hard and knocks VERY loudly, does anyone have an idea what might be causing this problem?? It runs through all the gears in the tranny, so I think it's fine there. I was thinkin it might have to do with the crank...I hope this isn't gonna be expensive.

I'm getting sick of this Rappy breaking down all the time now...I think I'm gonna plan on selling this after I get it fixed and ridden a few times then plan on buying a new '05 YFZ and LEAVING THE ENGINE ALONE. Whens the info on the new models comin out and what is the date of the release?

Old 05-22-2004 | 09:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The new Yamaha info will be released in Vegas on the 15th of June I think, and the new models come out July/August.

You may have spun a crank bearing, if I had to guess.

Old 05-22-2004 | 09:53 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thats exatcally what I was thinkin...what generally causes that?

I know if you are out of oil or if oil isnt getting there it can cause that but I let it idle for a half hour after I tightened the head bolts and it ran perfect, so I don't think oil was a problem.

Old 05-22-2004 | 09:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Probably a crank problem. Didn't you install a carrillo rod the last time your engine went away? Just asking, seems I recall that's what you did anyway. I understand about your feelings of always fixing the Raptor.

Old 05-22-2004 | 10:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you replaced the rod and had the crank balenced you should have had new crank bearings. But general wear will cause them to spin. When I had miine done, my Raptor had 40hrs on it, and the right bearing was already catching and showing wear. So they just generally wear out from what I can tell.

Old 05-22-2004 | 10:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like the rod or wrist pin. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2004 | 10:19 PM
|
Pro Rider

Ya, I put the carillo rod in and had the crank balanced so I assume new bearings got put in. How much other damage would something like this cause? How much is it to fix this type of problem? Like I said, it still runs just doesn't sound good AT ALL.

Old 05-22-2004 | 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry too hear that man,i hate hearing anybodys quad break.It can be expemsive. Everytime i hear this stuff , It makes me more afraid too get inside my motor too do mods.

Old 05-22-2004 | 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

It can be expemsive. Everytime i hear this stuff , It makes me more afraid too get inside my motor too do mods.[/quote]

I heard that.

Old 05-22-2004 | 10:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

We can guess all night but you won't really know till you tear it apart. If the crank bearing spun then the only expensive part will be tearing the entire motor down and splitting the cases. But I would assume that the bearing that is pressed onto the crank with the rod would be new, but they may have sent you your original bearing on the other side of the crank.

The sooner you tear into the motor, the quicker you will find out what it is. But I swear it sounds like a crank bearing...does the motor shake or vibrate now?