Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Craycraft 730 vs. Sparks 690 vs. Kenz 727

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 02:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craycraft 730 vs. Sparks 690 vs. Kenz 727

Raptoraz- That is where your info is wrong. Craycraft is not using the same off the shelf parts as the others. You are correct to a degree. For a while trinty/FST/sparks were using the same parts but sparks was always faster. When Craycraft was using the same parts a few years back they were making more power than the trinitys and others.

I would not be surprised to see a new head design from craycraft in the near future, maybe he will sell them to other builders.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2004, 02:58 AM
Range Rover

What about the Powroll 770, how's that stand up in the races? Anyone have one? Any of them out in the sand down there? I seen an article in one of the quad mags with one sporting Nitrous as well... That would be one ride if it was setup right and tuned properly like alot of people are getting outta the 686's.... There's guys up here in Northern Alberta, Canada running the big bored 700+cc rappy's and one guy with Nitrous as well, not much place to ride it, but just big ego's out here... Not bout what you have and why you have it, basically why don't you have it if you have the money, and an ego to boost. Up here, everybody's gotta have the biggest and best. 40 G sleds are the norm just for shooting hills in the mountains, everybody's got their game, so be it....

Old 05-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 14mins
Raptoraz- That is where your info is wrong. Craycraft is not using the same off the shelf parts as the others. You are correct to a degree. For a while trinty/FST/sparks were using the same parts but sparks was always faster. When Craycraft was using the same parts a few years back they were making more power than the trinitys and others.

I would not be surprised to see a new head design from craycraft in the near future, maybe he will sell them to other builders.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Let's look at what type of gains you could realistically see by designing your own components:

Camshafts: Since you are not Comp Cams with an extensive R&D department, I'd say designing your own camshaft profiles will give you little to no gains against the competition. Don't believe me? Look at Nextel Cup racing. All their builders use their own camshaft profiles and their advantage is very minor. There's probably only a 5% difference in horsepower output from the best team to the worst.

Cylinder heads: At this point in time. I believe a properly ported Yamaha casting is capable of flowing more air/fuel than the Raptor's cubic inch can naturally consume. So there again, minor advantage.

Unless you guys are going the way of EFI Turbo. You're gonna be back in the pack.

BTW. From the conversations I've had with SPARKS, they are not making any more power than the rest of us. They are just better at getting more of the power to the ground.

Old 05-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1BADRAPTOR
I would prefer some paddles to rip up over there, i think they would hook better then the knobbies..
OF COURSE paddles would hook up better than knobbies up there, but then there is no challange to hillclimbing!!!

We do about 5% drag racing in the Cinders and 95% hillclimbing.

If you are fast with knobbies, then that says a lot, anyone can get a bike and put paddles on and climb those hills(some[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

Old 05-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER
2001raptor2001 beat azsand and it was homebuilt . And sparks has a crf 450 nitro alky contraption that could have beat them both IMO.
Ive yet to race either one of them w/ my new build. The sparks 690s that are super fast are his mechanics or his personal freinds. Or just some HIGH $$$ Spenders.JMO
My dad does not know Curtis personally and does not have much $ in his engine and he beat 2001raptor2001 at 4SW3??? He has about 1200 in his engine, and 799 for fcr's, pretty fast bike huh???

Old 05-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

So your dad has $2k in his 686. How much does it cost too make a pump gas 727 run with it? Double that? More? Don't get me wrong, I think you went the right route.

Old 05-27-2004, 01:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAPTORAZ
Originally posted by: 14minsRaptoraz- That is where your info is wrong. Craycraft is not using the same off the shelf parts as the others. You are correct to a degree. For a while trinty/FST/sparks were using the same parts but sparks was always faster. When Craycraft was using the same parts a few years back they were making more power than the trinitys and others.I would not be surprised to see a new head design from craycraft in the near future, maybe he will sell them to other builders.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Let's look at what type of gains you could realistically see by designing your own components:Camshafts: Since you are not Comp Cams with an extensive R&D department, I'd say designing your own camshaft profiles will give you little to no gains against the competition. Don't believe me? Look at Nextel Cup racing. All their builders use their own camshaft profiles and their advantage is very minor. There's probably only a 5% difference in horsepower output from the best team to the worst. Cylinder heads: At this point in time. I believe a properly ported Yamaha casting is capable of flowing more air/fuel than the Raptor's cubic inch can naturally consume. So there again, minor advantage.Unless you guys are going the way of EFI Turbo. You're gonna be back in the pack. BTW. From the conversations I've had with SPARKS, they are not making any more power than the rest of us. They are just better at getting more of the power to the ground.
Four or five percent in a couple different areas can make a significant difference. A turbo with adjustable boost would be nice.....if it was in a small package and not vulnerable.

Old 05-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Originally posted by: Raptor660Fam
Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER
2001raptor2001 beat azsand and it was homebuilt . And sparks has a crf 450 nitro alky contraption that could have beat them both IMO.
Ive yet to race either one of them w/ my new build. The sparks 690s that are super fast are his mechanics or his personal freinds. Or just some HIGH $$$ Spenders.JMO
My dad does not know Curtis personally and does not have much $ in his engine and he beat 2001raptor2001 at 4SW3??? He has about 1200 in his engine, and 799 for fcr's, pretty fast bike huh???

No doubt your dad has a fast bike! But I dont think you caught 2001rap2001 on a good day. Didnt his motor blow?? Has your dad raced the fast z400 lately?? does your dad have valves, cams porting ?? Thats the best price ive ever heard of anyone getting motor work done for.

Old 05-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

What is the cheapest out of all 3 of these and how much is it to do it all. What one produces the best power for the cheapest price to?

Old 05-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer

i think his dad had everything but bigger valves and a new intake manifold i still cant belive that sparks doesnt use a new manifold...

Quick Reply: Craycraft 730 vs. Sparks 690 vs. Kenz 727