Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

why is the ds so much more powerful than a raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is the ds so much more powerful than a raptor?

I've yet to get beat by a DS in any kind of a short run (0 to say 400 ft). If Raptors didn't wheelie out of the hole so bad i don't think Ds's would be close (in short runs). If they are both stock and, the Raptor had a 2in swingarm Ext. it would be DS's nightmare. They actually had to shorten the swingarm on the New Ds's so they can Wheelie w/ less effort. My 2 buddies have 03 DS Baja's and, they can catch and, beat me in a long race, they are 50 pounds lighter though.

bottom line = DS only stay close in short races cuz the Raptor is to hard to launch, they do well in long races because once the heavy pig gets rolling the motor can stretch it's legs. I'll keep my Raptor!

Old 06-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hounddog,

If I come, it will be saturday afternoon, and I may stay the night and ride Sunday also. I need to take my DS out one more time, before it goes under the knife[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Maybe we can put a stop to all the Rappy/DS faster talk.LOL!!

Freez, keep on making those Rappy's fast. Thier aint nothing better than a good Rivalry(sp)

bigger.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

When you race, please do us all a favour. Race on a paved road and do a rolling start in second gear. That way there is no issue about who has better traction, who lunches best and trying to keep the front wheels down. Its bike against bike. Rider skill have a minor role to play. It is also no use to try and race a stock motor DS against a 686. Its two different worlds. Not saying the raptor will kill the DS, but the aim of the race should be to get a stock motor against another stock motor.

Maybe this weekend I will try and get a video of the raptor racing a couple of DS's.

I honestly wish someone will do a proper fair shootout on the drags. This has been going on for ages. Raptor guys say they never get beat, DS guys say the same about their bikes. There are so many different parts to fit to these bikes, and tuning them is even worse. It is hardly ever a fair shootout. Guys racing stock motor bikes against modified motor bikes, different tires, different rider weight, the list is nearly endless.

Bring us back the results and proof in Video!

Old 06-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey ..... Thats racing! thats why we love it,hate it,and cant let it go. We must get faster, tune up our riding skilles,and try try again!

bigger[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly!

My biggest problem is that it never ends, as with these DS vs. Raptor posts. One require more and more goodies and it just cost more and more money. Something I tend to have in limited supply. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

I was speaking my results before i went 686 and, the bike was Stock. I haven't got the 686 dialed in yet and, wouldn't bother racing a stock or, piped machine anymore.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Bigger,

We'll be in Cowboy camp most likely. If you see us on the dunes, be sure and holler at us. You can't miss us. With my bike and dad's buggy we kinda stand out.

~HoundDog

Old 06-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no problem running against piped raptors at Sand Mtn NV last weekend on my STOCK Baja X. I rode my buddies piped raptor and it did not feel like it had anything on my stock bike. About the same.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

Originally posted by: CaptBags
I've yet to get beat by a DS in any kind of a short run (0 to say 400 ft). If Raptors didn't wheelie out of the hole so bad i don't think Ds's would be close (in short runs). If they are both stock and, the Raptor had a 2in swingarm Ext. it would be DS's nightmare. They actually had to shorten the swingarm on the New Ds's so they can Wheelie w/ less effort. My 2 buddies have 03 DS Baja's and, they can catch and, beat me in a long race, they are 50 pounds lighter though.bottom line = DS only stay close in short races cuz the Raptor is to hard to launch, they do well in long races because once the heavy pig gets rolling the motor can stretch it's legs. I'll keep my Raptor!
Your close enough to come to St Joes Park in MO. The DS's win there more than they lose. Or better yet come to Aledo TX June 19 and give it a try. I think you will be in for a supprise. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I'm still trying to find a Raptor that will hold together long enough for me to race. I've only been around a few and they had issues with the shift linkage. Does getting beat by part of a Raptor count? last week I was passed by a Raptor rear wheel and hub.
Saprks has shown that if you properly tune a Raptor and use a small 12 year old with sneaky gas you can beat a DS!

Quick Reply: why is the ds so much more powerful than a raptor?