Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

why is the ds so much more powerful than a raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is the ds so much more powerful than a raptor?

Originally posted by: BALDMIKE
To hell witht the DS and Raptor shootout !
With all due respect, has anyone seen Andrew Thomas's wife ?
WOW !
she's ok, what makes her hot is the fact that she rides, AND let's him take pictures...

Old 06-03-2004, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

LOL....... If you say so........

Old 06-03-2004, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

i saw on ATV Sport Tv (wednesday night hp)that the DS has dual spark plugs and dual intake ports and of course dual exhaust ports.That might have something to fo with it.I have seen a bone stock DS and a bone stock rappy drag and the Ds ate the rappy for luch but i like both quads.

Old 06-03-2004, 04:42 AM
Pro Rider

In stock form the DS makes more power.

Here is a dyno run of a DS and Raptor I did on the Dyno. They have matching aftermarkert parts.

Both Dynojet kits, Both K&N aircleaners. DS have bigger intakes on the airbox. Raptor has L&A adaptor. DS runnigna Full Ron Woods pipe, Raptor Sparks pipe. Both motors stock.

Rear wheel HP DS. 40.8 HP, Rear wheels HP Raptor 47.8. This raptor actually did 49.5 HP later in the day aftyer some final jetting, but I don't have that run compairing it to the DS.

Green Is Torque in Nm. Red is HP. Solid line run is Raptor, broken line runs are DS.

Raptor and DS run.

The DS needs a new CDI, Bigger carb, no airbox and some extra bits to get it up to the Raptor's power.

Old 06-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Pro Rider

even when my raptor was stock i've never been beaten by a ds.
Was the guy on the DS Stevie Wonder?

As far as the wife, saw a bumper sticker that said, "They are all nags, some just make better trophies" Don't forget it. Alot of time the looks aren't worth the hassle.

Old 06-03-2004, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

I have dyno runs of 3 different Bombs. A 03 DS, 04 DS and a 04 Baja X. They DON"T make the same HP as the raptor. You need a bigger carb, no airbox, plus you have to mod the intake between the carb and the head to get the same power as the raptor. My stock raptor with Dynojet kit, airbox mods (trimmed Snorkel and 2 holes in the airbox lid) and stock exhaust, even with the small little spark arrestor in place, made 44HP on the Dyno. Its 3HP more that the DS's with a new pipe, Dynojet kit, K&N and airbox mods. The stock of the showroom floor raptors are very badly tuned and no match for a stock DS. Just jet the Raptor correctly and do the airbox mod and it makes more HP that a DS with more mods. I see it over and over again on the Dyno.

Without the bigger carb and intake mods, the DS will not make the same HP. After the mods, yes it will match the raptor power, but you have to spend much more to get it there.

Not sure where you drag race the DS against the Raptor, but all the raptors I tune, kill the DS or Baja X. I tune both the DS and Raptors on the same dyno, to the exact same air fuel ratio's and there is simply no match in power. The raptor is also lighter and has between 6 and 9 HP more than the same mods DS. There is no way they can win. The raptor is either badly tuned or the rider cannot ride. Drags on paved road confirm this. Each gear change adds about half a quad length to the raptor's lead. They also need 22" tires or a bigger front sprocket to keep up with the speed of raptor with stock gearing and 20" tires. The DS is also bigger, causing more air resistance. More air resistance, the more HP it needs to do the same speed as the smaller raptor. The reason for this is simple. The DS rev limiter kicks in just past 7000 RPM. Raptors go past 8000 RPM before the limiter kicks in. You need a new CDI to get the DS to rev to 8000 RPM.

Now to be fair. I have seen lots of Raptors with a new pipe and other mods only producing 38 HP. 40HP raptors are very common, but it’s because the people tuning them have no clue what they are doing. The keep trying to tune the bike without spending time on the dyno. Fix the jetting and spend the time to get both carbs set up right and they produce 47HP plus easy. Racing a badly tuned raptor with a good DS is going to result in the Ds winning.

Now I am a big fan of Mr HP, and I believe in what he is doing. Getting 53Hp out of a DS is very good work, but remember one thing. It was done with dyno tires. Smooth tires add between 4 and 10HP to the Dyno. Meaning running stock tires will show less HP that smooth Dyno tires.

Things being equal, the Stock DS producing 40.8 HP at the rear stock tires can easily show 45 to 48 HP with dyno tires. The 53Hp run he got will most likely show about 48 to 50HP with stock tires. Exactly the same as what the Raptors do. These motors make the same power, no matter how you look at it. The difference is, the raptor needs less mods and money to get to max HP. The DS needs some more goodies and they come with a price tag.

It comes down to traction, gearing and skill of the rider. Either one is capable to win in drags, but theoretically the raptor should have a bit of an edge, due its weight.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: aksafari
Originally posted by: BALDMIKE
To hell witht the DS and Raptor shootout !
With all due respect, has anyone seen Andrew Thomas's wife ?
WOW !
she's ok, what makes her hot is the fact that she rides, AND let's him take pictures...
someone call milfhunter! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Freez,

40hp out of a STOCK DS is miserable, much less a piped and jetted one. Good job on getting the Rappy to its potential though. In the real world ,DS's almost always win the races against an equally modded Rappy. Just the facts.

ANd BTW, the old saying that it takes More $$$$ to make a DS fast is very un true. From what I have seen lately , the Rappy owners spending Thousands of dollars in the motors to be "fast".

Bigger.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Bigger,

We'll be at Little Sahara this weekend. Meeting some friends with Sand Cars up there. Any chance we'll see you there?

~HoundDog

Old 06-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

biggerisbetter, remember that the dynos where done with stock tires. For example. If you look at HFM's web site where they show the dyno run of an YFZ450 with stock tires. They claim that with dyno tires the bike makes 9 HP more on the dyno. Adding 4 to 9 HP to 40.8 HP gives you a good 46 to 50 HP. Each make of tire has a different effect in the dyno reading, hence the use of dyno tires to try and have a fair comparison. I don’t have that luxury, so the stock tires have to do.

Then, you might be completely right about the DS's beating raptors in the sand. The guy with the most power don't always win. It’s about traction, and launching the bike correctly. The heavier DS, might help the tires have better traction and it does not pick up the front wheels as easy as the raptors. Sand or dirt drags are way more than just power. Skill also plays a big role.

On paved roads its different. There traction is even, no slipping, just 100% pure traction and you only have to worry about changing gears at the right time. I have raced lots of DS's on paved road and not a single one is able to beat a well tuned raptor. Like I said, finding a well tuned raptor is not easy. People just don't know how to get the power out of the stock motor. They always tend to trow money at new pistons, cams and other goodies, instead fo making the stock motor work well. I have had many an argument with Raptor riders, Yamaha dealers at so called tuners that cannot get the raptors making more than 40 HP. I also find that most people using a dyno have no clue either.

To get back to the subject, the DS or Raptor makes about the same power. The DS motor is not way more powerful that the Raptor motor.

Then, you can spend lots of money on the raptors to make it run well, but I have done lots of Raptors and even more DS’s. The mods I do is exhaust, K&N, Dynojet kit, and airbox mods. After I am done, the raptors come out making the most HP, every single time.

You need a new carb, maybe a CDI and some other mods to get them equal. That cost money, pure and simple.

Not sure if you raced a YFZ 450 and win. I am not trying to change the subject here. I raced a couple of YFZ 450’s. They usually trash just about anything in the drags. The YFZ’s have new Exhausts, no airbox lid, Pro Flow foam air cleaner, dynojet kit and dyno tuned. Racing against the YFZ with the tuned raptors makes for a damn close race. 1 to 4th gear and the bikes are dead even. 5th gear the raptor pulls away. Both these bikes kill the DS’s on drags.

PS. I am not trying to say the DS is bad, I work on more DS’s than any other ATV and I like them a lot.

Quick Reply: why is the ds so much more powerful than a raptor?