Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

why is the ds so much more powerful than a raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is the ds so much more powerful than a raptor?

Originally posted by: YamahaRiderOnly
The DS Wins in Stock Form, but when they both have minor mods the Raptor Wins.
Wrong.

Old 06-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

I agree there aren't many "fast" Raptors I've seen. A Raptor that beats an equally tuned DS is far & few between.
In fact, after I bought my DS a guy on a Raptor wanted to race me. I was like, "great my first ride & I'm gonna get a whippin." Thing is I won. I beat the first few Raptors I raced. I went back to my dealer (Bomb & Yammy dealer). I told him about it. He was like Bombs are faster but no-one believes it. As far as mods, I'd never trust a modded Raptor. I've seen stock ones with too much reliability issues.
Dyno might say one thing, but the races I've witnessed say another.

Kinda like GM's optomistic HP numbers. I have a 2000 Dodge 5.9L, my brother friend had a 2001 Chevy 5.3L. My truck is rated at 245HP, his is rated at like 285HP I think. When we raced he won but it was close. I don't know if that GM dyno needed calibrated or what. It's like where did that 40HP advantage go.

Race on a paved road and do a rolling start in second gear. That way there is no issue about who has better traction, who lunches best and trying to keep the front wheels down
Traction & front wheels down is part of the quad itself too. The fact that Yamaha put a 660 in a 400 sized frame is not that riders fault. That's Yamaha's deal & that's their quads handling charecteristics. Take it or leave it.

I don't hate Yamaha, but I can't imagine giving up this motor for a Raptor....

As far as my wife... no kids yet, so no milf.

I have new pics to post just haven't had time to scan them.

Old 06-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dislike Rotax engines, but damn they are fast. In snowmobiles, quads, jet-skis.

Old 06-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

why the hate?

power & reliability.... It's like a Honda with muscle.

Old 06-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Let me just tell you guys about a little encounter i had at Haspin, in Indiana.... I went last weekend, thursday, friday, sat, and sunday....They have a 1/8 mile Dirt/Sand Drag Strip, My Raptor, A Stock YFZ, A DS 650, and a Craptor780, with an HKS Turbo, that put out a lil over 105 HP....MY LORD....i have never been pulled on this bad EVER....i have recently joined these forums, just to read up on what other ppl think, and performance parts, and just literature in general... Anyway...It was a Stroker, Trinity Motor....It PULLED LIKE A FRICKIN FREIGHT TRAIN....ate everyone off the line, was about 5 car lengths in front of me, I was 1/2 way down, still in low part of 3rd, and he was already done. I wasted the DS, it was stock, bout 4 quad lengths, the YFZ was no match for the 780 obviously either, and it was right behind me about 2 quad lengths. I ended up catching and passing the yfz as soon as i got into 3rd couldnt get off the line. The first time... The 780 had an Alba +6 Swingarm, and this turbo was unreal, i have never seen anything like it, and im curious if anyone on this forum knows anything about them, or has seen them also. Its rediculously Insane, and i would almost swear nothing is faster....This was an all out Drag Beast!!! It had a big Red Hose commin off the radiator or somethin, had a big HKS on the side of it and carried on back to the rear end, it had a FRICKIN INTERCOOLER and everything...guy said it nearly doubles the stock raptors HP...then the 780 on top of it...he had everything but nitrous, and said he would be spraying the intercooler, sometime later with it, as you would do with a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really would like to get a few Responses to this!!!
-bLuRRRR27-

Old 06-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

XXxxSiCk660xxXX its obvious a raptor780, with an HKS Turbo will probly smoke pretty much everything, but think this, what if a ds were to be bored out to around 780 cc's, same amount of money put into it with that turbo /intercooler and see how those two line up, and not compare a highly modded machine against something that isnt so modded or even stock.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

A Turbo 780 sounds fun & unique. However I'm betting it's simply a timebomb.

Old 06-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Yes i coud say quite possibly, any day that thing will most certainly blow up...especially with abusive drag racing, i dont think any clutch out there can honestly handle a motor that can harness such power....

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 06-14-2004, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: XXxxSiCk660xxXX
and a Craptor780, with an HKS Turbo, that put out a lil over 105 HP....MY LORD....
ummm..... isn't scooby's ds a stock bore and putting out like 120hp????

and i wonder how majorechos 733 KMS turbo'ed ds would do against that

Old 06-14-2004, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Yes i would love to see it go, that ds has got to be pretty heavy, i know the raptor was over 460lbs, according to the guy that had it....

Over at albaaction.com, there is a small jet engine raptor, with nitrous, that thing is pretty crazy fast...

Quick Reply: why is the ds so much more powerful than a raptor?