Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 660 questions

i am thinking of mods for my griz, white bro's sbend pipe, epi clutich kit and some new 28" itp 589's and delta series rims with 1.5" wheel spacers, i was wondering if you get a slip on pipe do you have to rejet? How hard are clutch kits to put in?

Old 06-20-2004, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The delta rims are going to offset your quad pretty good, if you add spacers to that, I assume you are just mudding a lot, and not having to fit between any trees. It would be major wide. If you wanted it that wide all the time, you could get a rear offset rim for front and back, and save the money you would spend on spacers. Grizzly's use the same front rim offset for front and back. I'm guessing you could go wider with a rear offset (like maybe a rear 600 grizz rim).

Old 06-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

no i dont really do alot of mud bogging ... just probaly 1 week probaly, you think it would be very wide, because i do go through the woods alot.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

You will need to trim quite a bit to fit the 28s or get a lift kit. A clutch kit will be a must.

Definately invest in some sort of a exhaust.

With tires that large you should also look into gorilla axles.

Old 06-21-2004, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

I have seen pics of grizzlys with 28" tires with no lift? I was gonna invest in a lift but the griz only has a front lift kit? i see you have a 04 griz with 26 mud lites? i have used mud lites before they are nice, yea i am gunna invest in a pipe but im not sure witch won... have any of you ever tried white bro's or hmf? would just a slip on help with hp and do i have to rejet with a slip on. you said i should invest in gorilla axles......they are very expensive...
Thanks for the help....

Old 06-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you get aftermarket rims, don't get spacers. It will be extremely wide. It will look wierd too. The aftermarket rims already put the tires outside of the fenders a hair.

I have an HMF pipe. Good gain in power. Very loud, but I imagine most pipes are going to be that way. $295 shipped with jet kit and filter from www.atvtires.com

Unless you are going to go mudding a lot, don't get true mud tires (I.E. zillas, outlaws, claws, etc.). Go for something that will get you through the mud, but will still do good on other surfaces. I'd say mudlites, mud bugs, gators, 589's. I have Claws, and they are awesome in the mud, and ride better than the vamps and zillas and stuff, but they still are a mud tire, and they dig when trying to climb loose or dry dirt hills. Like a tiller effect. I normally run stock, unless for some reason I was going to the mud (which I never do with the grizzly anyway- rather not tear it up)

As far as gorilla axles, I wouldn't mess with it until you break a stock one, then just replace it with a gorilla. No sense spending the money til you need it. Never had a problem with axles, but mine is an 02, and rumor has it they were better than 03. Can't clarify that, just read it here a lot of times.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your help, when you bought your hmf pipe and the rejet kit, how hard was it to put the jet kit in,to tell you the truth i am very good at working on four wheelers but i dont even know where the jet kit goes!!

Old 06-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

not hard to put the pipe on at all. Hardest part about rejetting is taking all that crap off the bike to get the carb off. And thats not hard, just time consuming. Pull the carb off, take the float bowl cover off, take out the old jet, put in the new one, take the top off it, pull out the old needle, put in the new one, adjust the mixture screw, put the thing back together, put it back on the quad, change out the filter, and then pray that everything is set up right. I read around a lot before I did it from others who had done it to try and get the right jet in there the first time. It comes with about 5-6 different jet sizes. I only did mine once. Seems to work pretty good, cause I didn't notice any lag or any bad coloration on the spark plug.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

let me ask you another ? why do you have to rejet? also with your hmf pipe did you get slip on or full exhaust?

Old 06-22-2004, 02:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

slip on. You have more airflow with the filter and of course a more free flowing exhaust with that package. You will be running lean if you don't put a bigger jet in it.

Quick Reply: Grizzly 660 questions