Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ok Warrior owners, riddle me this.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2000, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the left side of the Warrior engine, a few inches up from the oil filter.....there is a thick, black hose that runs up the the snorkel on the airbox lid! What is that for?? And when people remove the airbox, where does that hook up? Does it make a difference to have it not hooked up?? Hehe, thanx for the info!!

Old 08-09-2000, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

If I am not mistaken it is the engin breather hose. I don't know if you can just plug it up or not. When I got my new air box it had a hole to plug it into. I don't think you would just want to let it be open to the air or water may get down into your motor. OF course I might be totaly wrong about all of this. Someone els may have a better explination.

Old 08-09-2000, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Well, originally I thought it might be something important to have it run through the snorkel! But then I got to thinking....it doesnt run through the air filter....it can suck in....or spit out (which ever) dirty air....so I'm not sure what it is!! Thanx for the reply!

Old 08-09-2000, 09:16 PM
GJ
Range Rover

That is the breather tube for the motor. do NOT plug it up! As the piston goes up and down it creates a vacum and pressure in the engine cases. This tube allows the motor to breath as it running. Other wise it will blow out oil in places were once sealed. Its not good to remove it or just leave the tube in open air, as water and dirt WILL get in behind the the counter balancer bearing. thats where the breather is located inside this motor. At bare minumum the tube should be terminated with a engine breather filter,(looks like a little K&N filter), if not hooked up inside the airbox some how. It wont make a difference in power if its on or off but it will make a difference in how long your motor will last. GJ

Old 08-09-2000, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Ahhhhh!! I see!! Thank you for setting me straight!! I was re-jetting my carb and moved it off the snorkel to get better access...and I forgot to put it on, I cought it quikly though!! Thanx again! Doesnt seem like Yamaha is very smart to put a tube to inside the engine without filtering it!!