Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Which ATV??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2000, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a 1988 Warrior. It's pretty decked out, but the thing has seen many years of hard riding, and it seems I'm fixing the thing about every week. So, it's time to get a new bike (or at least I'm thinking). My options are:

1.) Buy a Raptor (kinda expensive... might be worth it)
2.) Friend is selling a 2000 Honda 300 EX (only 10 hours on it) for 3500. Could buy that... I think after riding a Warrior for a while, I'm going to miss the power though.
3.) Keep on fixing the Warrior (I think the loan payments on the Raptor would be cheaper believe it or not).

Any suggestions?

Later,
Jeff
http://www.atv-offroad.com

Old 08-15-2000, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

I also had a 1998 Warrior, but just so happen that I wasn't riding much and sold it for $3700.00. I loved the versatility of the Warrior. Now we've a Y2K Warrior that goes by the name of Raptor. In my opinion the Raptor would be your best choice.

01 Raptor Blk/White on the way....!!!!

Old 08-15-2000, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

Get a Banshee! Untill the demand goes down on the Raptor you are going to be ripped off because dealers are going to sell them for top dollar and nothing less. As Dirtwheels magazine said the Raptor is only 1mph faster than the Banshee, so save yourself some money and buy the most thrilling quad of all time!

Old 08-15-2000, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

While 2 strokes have their place (mostly racing), I don't like them for trail riding/hill climbing... ...and that's mostly what I do. So the Banshee is out of the question (along with any Polaris... I don't like Polaris's)...

As for the Raptor option, I've called the 6 nearest Yamaha dealers to me (I'm in Northeast Ohio) about the Raptor. Here is what each one had to say:

J&J Motors (Massillon, OH) - They are getting 12 Raptors in September. 7 are already sold. They are selling them for $6,995.

Midway Yamaha (Akron, OH) - Already sold out of Yamaha Raptors

Action Sport Cycles (Alliance, OH) - Already sold out of Yamaha Raptors

Harding's Park Cycle (Canton, OH) - Have a few available in their September shipment. Selling them for $7495.

Andrews Yamaha (Salem, OH) - All sold out until December. Asking $7000.

All Seasons Sport Center (Wooster, OH) - All sold out until December. Asking $6495.

So, it looks like I might have a hard time getting my mitts on a Raptor.

Later,
Jeff
http://www.atv-offroad.com

Old 08-15-2000, 03:30 PM
Trailblazer

Unless you're 5'5" tall or a woman, don't get the 300EX, you'll want more power and room. 400EX are appearing on the used market at resonable prices. If you get one for $4500 or so, you can put a ton of mods in it (like $3000) before you get to the price of a Raptor. Think about it, 440, cam, pipe, filter, A-arms, tires and wheels, shocks (Works or even some of those cool PEPs). You can build yourself a pretty nice quad. Unless you just want a Yamaha, which is fine, but you'll have to get in line.

Old 08-15-2000, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

go with a Raptor or another Warrior. Thre Banshee is a good machine but not as versatile as a 4 stroke, I would pay 7000 for a Raptor before anything with EX at the end of it.

Old 08-22-2000, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jy2276, please share your clutch technique, compensating for lack of low-end power in a two-stroke engine. Since, as you say, most riders are unaware of this technique, how did you learn proper clutch use?

Do you mean you "slip" or "burn" (i.e., partially disengage the clutch, allowing the engine to develop higher rpms) the clutch? If so, does this practice wear out clutches quickly?

Tree Farmer

P.S. I consider calling someone an "idiot" because they want to buy a Raptor out of line. You owe AtvOffroad an apology for your personal attack.

T.F.

Old 08-22-2000, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

I didn't say you would be an idiot for buying a Raptor I said you would be an idiot for paying $7,000 or more for a Raptor. Can't you read? Yamaha is over pricing these quads just because they are going to be popular because they are new to the market and Yamaha knows they can sell them for what ever they want. That is not fair! The suggested retail is 6,499 but I checked on buying a Raptor but every dealership I have went to wants a 1,000 dollars down and they all want a total of $7,499 for this quad. I don't know about you but I work hard for my money so I am not just going to give it away. So yeah to me the Banshee is a hell of alot better deal especially when you can get a new one now for around 5,500!

Old 08-22-2000, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the economics and the reading lesson, JY2276!

Not to criticize your own reading skills, but did you perhaps overlook my questions? How about that clutching technique?

Tree Farmer

Old 08-22-2000, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer

You have to use the clutch to keep the banshee in the meat of its power which is when you are in the upper rpm's when riding slow trails. For example don't let the clutch out all the way just enough catch and keep the engine revved and then the banshee can be ridden slowly on trails but you wouldn't even have to use this method unless the trail is really rough such as climbing over rocks and logs but the banshee's clutch over the years has been known as one of the best on the market. It can be abused and never fade or slip so this kind of riding would cause no problems with the clutch. So before you say anything like the Raptor wouldn't have to be rode this way think again before I got my Banshee I had a 400EX and you had to use the clutch the same way to keep it moving in tight situations and the clutch on the EX would slip and fade under harsh conditions. So I congratulate the Banshee and Yamaha for 14 years of producing this Twin Cylinder Screamer!!!!!!