Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drowned a Kodiak 450?

OK WTF

Old 08-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

I had a severe power fall off and its somehow related to playing in the water and mud. I don't know what the water got into but it became undrivable in a fairly short time.

I have gone through lots of water and mud before whthout ever having a problem so I'm guessing something must have started leaking that wasn't before.

Its started last week whenI was playing in th edge of the river. I was driving fast in very shallow water sending sprays up over my head. A very enjoyable way to spend a hot august day. I noticed something was different but right away I couldnt put my finger on it. I found out later that I couldn't get above 40mph.

A week later, I was riding through a very wet mud hole, not the deepest I've been in by any means. I had a little difficulty getting out and decided to stop. As I climbed up away from the sides of the hole, I noticed I couldn't quite reach 20mph so I immediately started for my suv. Abpout a mile down, I was at a crawl barely maintaining 4 mph. I finally had to leave it and bring my trailer to where it was.

As it was going down, there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the engine. No stalling or sputtering. There didn't make any difference if I was in 4 wheele or normal drive. All gears were affected. No reverse, no low, no high. The engine would just rev as if there was no load at all.

What could I have gotten mud or water or sand in to cause this?

Old 08-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you got water on your belt. There is a drain plug to drain the water i think. check the owners manual. I have also heard there is a breather hose that can come off and you might want to check that also. I dont own one but i have been thinking of getting one. I have been reading alot about them. Let us no what you find out

Old 08-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

the belt will slip if water gets on it, which would affect the driving of your atv, the more wet you make it , the worse it slips, these problems have been known to occur on belt tranny utes. drain it using the drain plug.. then tell us waht your results are.

peace out

Old 08-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks. I will try that. I saw the drain plug and thought about pulling it but I didn't know if it would drain out transmittion fluid or what. I guess maybe it's been takking on water several times but only last week got deep enough to actually get on the belts.

I will try that and let you know.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:46 AM
Trailblazer

Use Guys are great! I pulled the plug and between a quart and a half gallon of water and mud came out. Ohhhh my god!!!

It runs again. But I still can't get it much over 10 miles an hour. If it dries out and starts running normally again, should I just go with that or do you think I should have it serviced to get it thoroughly cleaned out? I'm on vacation and dont want to leave it in the shop for the week if I don't have to.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

When I had this problem I had to clean out my clutch weights. They were completely covered in mud which did't allow them to move. Take apart, clean and regrease. This should take care of your problem. hopefully.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

yeah take the clutch cover off and clean all that crap up. I would bet there is mud all over the place. If you dont know how to take it all apart then maybe you should just take the cover off and blast it with a hose.

Old 09-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Kodiak 400 4x4 has drowned quite a few times. Thank the designers for the little drain plug! This plug is new in the last couple years. This water on the belt case is my only disappointment so far in spending so much on something so fun! We get into so much water and mud, I'm gonna have to look into extending my snorkels.

Evan in Indiana