Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Once again Wolverine, scrambler500

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once again Wolverine, scrambler500

stock for stock, the scrammy 500 is just near the p650......

dont believe me? go to atvnation.com.......lots of guys will agree...... bigbadscrambler, you race against a p650? if so tell me results.

the scrambler blows my dads sportsman 700 away like nothing. its no competition.

like i said, for 150 ft, i can take a 450r. thats a fast quad.

i know it sounds like im bsin ya, but theyre just about equal....scramblers are a tiny bit quicker, but p650's have more top end.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

do a quick search on the forums......its a very common debate....theyre both very close

Old 11-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: moldycheese
i would pick the wolverine because i like to ride a machine, not be riden buy it. on a wolverine you can through it around with confidence but the scrambler has more wight to through around. also the scrambler does NOT have real 4wd. it has awd. whats the diffrence? HALF THE TIME WHEN YOU PUT IT IN AWD IT RUNS IN 2WD! THE WOLVERINE IS IN 4WD ALL THE TIME! SO THE WOLVERINE HAS THE REAL 4WD NOT THE SCRAMBLER!!!!!
I dont know if anybody else noticed but how funny is it that this quote comes from a guy who has this in his signature..LOL

you have to love the people that try to talk about something they know nothing about
Now About the yamaha polaris debate. Polaris may have been unreliable in the past but the polaris 325 we have at our house is pretty much rock solid. It starts no matter how cold it is and keeps chugging along through most anything you throw at it. I never said it the wolv would beat the scram at everything i just like the wolverine. who has a faster top speed really doesnt matter ergonomics and other handling factors are far more important in my opinion for a quad like this because your looking for a sporty quad that has 4x4 capability when needed. The lighter weight has come in handy countless times with my wolv. And when it gets stuck, which like every quad it will if you push your limits, that lighter weight really comes in handy. I agree th auto is nice sometimes but in general i like shifting so thats another reason why i like the wolvy. they are both great bikes it all depends on what things your looking for.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Range Rover

thats a real good point it better to go any wher than to go some places fast. I like know I will make it through. I have never had to turn my wolvey around and find a differend route. one for the reasons why I would not want to be in 4x4 all the time when you buy the unlocker or 424 you can most definetly have a two wheel drive atv since the front wheels won't spin unless you put it back in 4x4, so in my mind you could menuver the wolvy a littlt be be cause you can spin the tire and the 4x4 will not kick in.

Old 11-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

um....you can spin a polarises rear tires w/o spinnin the fronts.....its callled putting the 4wd switch to off

Old 11-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Range Rover

I don't care how much faster the scrambler is, all of polarisis quads except for the preditor are ugly as hell, and I don't think much of polaris that they have to use Japaneze engines because they can't make there own. At the very least the Yamaha is all Yamaha.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

lol.......good excuse, when all else fails, blame the motor, or that it has 3 different kinds of bolts and nuts on it.........

I thought every polaris but the pred had an engine made by polaris...........plus, the pred engine is awesome........

Old 11-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

ok.......to end this debate right now..cuz weve gotten a whole crapload of replies for this one topic, and its startin to get a lil off topic..... the wolvy will be more than likely be more reliable, but not by a large margin.......its better for rocks at slower speeds due to the much higher GC. stock for stock, theres no comparison for a drag....scrambler wins hands down. as for light and agile, wolvy has it. for all around handling theyre both great. the wolvys a lil more nimble, but the scrammy can just slide whenever you feel like it. we all agree a much needed accesory on the wolvy is the 424 kit from WARN. as for 4x4, the scrammy has the true 4wd, not the wolvy. the wolvy only has 3 1/2 wheel drive, which will still pull itself out of any hole. i learned that with my kodiak. man them things climb..... as for mud, they both do decent, when it comes to hitting it hard and fast, the scrammy has it with the 500 with the true 4wd. for lower speeds id say wolvy cuz of the lack of a belt. 1st gear wont slip on ya (least i hope not). as for sportiness, honestly i hafta give it to the scrammy here.....all that power makes it so much fun, then again alot of ppl like to shift for their sportiness....thats all the persons opinion..... that right there is a fair evaluation of the 2, correct me if im terribly wrong somewhere

Old 11-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

73challenger You really need to ride both of these quads. I think I know the one you will want.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Range Rover

i recall a race between a brand new stock scrambler 500 and a stock 01yamaha kodiak auto 400 and it was on hard packed dirt with the kodiak rider being heavier,maybe by 40 pounds.the scrambler took it right of the line but the kodiak stayed right with it and only lost by about 15 ft in a 200 yard race.i was there and saw it .they even did it twice. so as far as the scrambler being this big bad *** power house i hate to tell you my wolv with its mods beats that same 400 kodiak.im rode that scrambler and i will say it was dam quick for a four by ,but it has a 500cc engine it should topple a 400 or a 350 and it doesnt, could you imagine a wolv or kodiak 500 ,the scrambler would be scrambled.

Quick Reply: Once again Wolverine, scrambler500