Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine gets wet then quits

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine gets wet then quits

Originally posted by: LotusPosition
Dirt in the carb bowl is VERY common, even on relatively new Wolverines. An inline fuel filter might be a good future investment. I use one on mine.
My money is on this too. My Wolv did this several times because I don't think I was getting the filter seated properly. The airbox design makes it hard to tell if the filter is sealed. I bought an airbox adapter and it works well. It happened probably into my second month of ownership so I would bet that's your problem. Also, if the carb boot is not sealed well, water could get in. While the engine is running, spray some carb cleaner on the boot. If the engine revs, that is your problem, but the clogged jet is more probable.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will take the carb off and check for dirt in the float bowl & plugged jets. I spoke with the dealer who sold me the bike and he said that electrical system on this bike is bullet proof and suggested that the problem was likely a carb issue. he also mentioned checking the fuel line for blockage.

I'll solve this issue hopefully over the next few days. I'll update this thread when I find out what's causing the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Happy trails!

Old 10-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I finally had a chance to take apart the carb and you won't believe what I found. There was a fly stuck in the main jet! It was an odd looking fly, kind of a reddish brown color. A few of us at camp are wondering if it found its way into the float bowl when the carb was assembled in Japan (? Doesn't the fuel flow petcock have a screen to prevent tank debris from entering the carb?). Guess an Entimologist could figure that one out....

So, I took the little freak of a fly out of the main jet and reassembled the carb, cleaned up the air box and filter (the filter was installed upside down by the dealer's boy on the last service....!?!) and put it all back together. It runs fine now. Back to the satisfying performance level Im used to enjoying with this machine. Anyone else ever heard of this kind of problem?

Going good (again) in the snow way up north.

Cheers, and thanks again to all that responded to my query!

Gurbax - SHiFt JaMEs SHIfT!!!!

Old 10-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Gurbax
I finally had a chance to take apart the carb and you won't believe what I found. There was a fly stuck in the main jet! It was an odd looking fly, kind of a reddish brown color. A few of us at camp are wondering if it found its way into the float bowl when the carb was assembled in Japan (? Doesn't the fuel flow petcock have a screen to prevent tank debris from entering the carb?). Guess an Entimologist could figure that one out....

So, I took the little freak of a fly out of the main jet and reassembled the carb, cleaned up the air box and filter (the filter was installed upside down by the dealer's boy on the last service....!?!) and put it all back together. It runs fine now. Back to the satisfying performance level Im used to enjoying with this machine. Anyone else ever heard of this kind of problem?

Going good (again) in the snow way up north.

Cheers, and thanks again to all that responded to my query!

Gurbax - SHiFt JaMEs SHIfT!!!!

That is insane
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Glad you got it fixed.