Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What happens if You Dont Rejet

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens if You Dont Rejet

Do a plug check to be certain.

I see most of the replies come from people who have 4 strokes listed in their sig, most 4 strokes are more forgiving when it comes to jetting. The lean condition created by temp change can have a huge effect on how your 2 stroke runs. Spark plugs are cheap.........go ahead and do some plug checks before you do any long rides, it could save you a top end rebuild.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: TheWeedman
Originally posted by: YamahaBlaster200
Just wondering, does it do any damage, or just make it run weird, its gettin kind of cold here in michigan.

yo,
what hapend, i thought u were gonna be back in hawthorne trails this morning, u missed it i was doin some crazy donuts, every one was out there, mike jarod, matt, both ryans, and that dude with a z440. i didnt jet mine for the winter. and joes sellin the plasitc of his 03' u might wanna hit him up when he gets off work. hes gettin new custom plastic from some website. oh yea we fixed the fridge jump, we also moved it, it was too low and water puddles kept building up and freezin right where the landin was, so problem fixed homie.
im still on house arrest, my p.o. found out i went to detroit.

Old 11-15-2004, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YamahaBlaster200
Just wondering, does it do any damage, or just make it run weird, its gettin kind of cold here in michigan.
I live in Northern Minnesota where it gets excessively cold (-30) and kinda warm. I have never rejetted my wheeler and I ride it year around (gotta get to the fish house). I have had it for 3.5 years and have never had a problem.

Ryan

Old 11-15-2004, 02:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: daputz
Do a plug check to be certain.

I see most of the replies come from people who have 4 strokes listed in their sig, most 4 strokes are more forgiving when it comes to jetting. The lean condition created by temp change can have a huge effect on how your 2 stroke runs. Spark plugs are cheap.........go ahead and do some plug checks before you do any long rides, it could save you a top end rebuild.
I was waiting for that. 2 strokes need to have much more jetting attention. For optimum performance, ever 20 degrees F warrants a jetting adjustment.

If you dont rejet then dont be suprised if you have problems. My cousin refused to last year. He claimed all he had to do was run it with a twice as rich oil mixture. It didnt blow up or put a hole in the piston, but it ran like crap. Without the extra oil it would have caused some very serious problems, as it is the life of the pistons and rings have had thier lifespan significantly shortened and it will need a rebuild now that the summer season is over, as he has lost a lot of compression and performance.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

im glad somebody other then the 4-stroke crowd chimed in here. A 4-stroke is much different then a 2-stroke on how the fuel plays a part of the engine cycle. Unlike a 4-stroke a 2-stroke uses the fuel as a lubricant for the piston and upper and lower crank bearings. Anytime a drastic change in weather occures the air becomes easier (colder) or harder (warmer) for the motor to inhale.

Old 11-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Range Rover

It IS more important on a 2-stroke to be jetted right in the winter. You could lean it out so much you will burn up the piston. I did that last winter when it was about 10 out. I had a Blaster with a Toomey pipe jetted with a 310. I thought it was a tad rich in the summer, and that would clear up in the winter. Thought WRONG!!! I should have been up to a 340 in the winter