Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

trans. problem w/ 98 warrior

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans. problem w/ 98 warrior

hello all...ive had my warrior for quite sometime and loved its reliability, until recently. the problem is its in first gear and wont come out. however the shifter does move, its not stuck. it will 'click' up and down but will only stay in first. and no the linkage is not stripped,lol. when it happened it would go in neutral but now its just first, reverse still works. ive been told 2 different things that it could be...what do you guys think

take care Jason_L

Old 11-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Drain the oil, take the side cover plate off, and look behind the clutch basket. Check to see if the shift star is bound up and that the shifter pawl, attached to the foot shifter pivot shaft, is free and clear to rotate.

I believe the warrior is the same set-up as the banshee type shift config as I just described.

That'd be the first thing to check, otherwise you're going to have to break the lower case apart and start looking at shift forks and gears.

Time for a 400cc stroker crank and big bore kit with high lift cam if you go into it that far! (thats what I did, and loved the new 400cc power)

good luck on finding your problems.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes thats what someone else told me...i started to split the case to access the shift forks but then i talked to someone and he aslo said to check behind the clutch...i took the cover off last night, now im gonna go take the rest out and see whats goin on...if the problem is in there will i notice? is this common? ill let ya know what i find tonight

thanks

Old 11-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

well i got the clutch basket out last night. everything seems to be fine in there. the shifter arm seemed fine and when i moved it by hand it does the same thing, just clicks up and down and stays in gear. nothing over there seemed bound or wore out. so whats next? just open it up from the other side? ive already got the head and jug off. what type of wear should i look for when i get the case open? if it was bad shift forks would it still click like this or would it just be stuck?

thanks

Old 11-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

please help guys, i dont wanna take it to a mechanic

take care
Jason_L

Old 11-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Get a haynes, clymer, or factory manual...............pull the engine out and split the case. The shift drum isn't rotating if the shift star and shift shaft lever seems to operate normally.

The shift fork tips can show some light scuffing or shine, but no gaulling or divets.

Look at the gear teeth in the front and rear cluster, and see if you've broke off any of the side dog teeth.

Think about new lower crank bearings if/when you pull it apart. It's not that hard if you have a good manual and basic tools.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

man thats sucks good luck with it

Old 11-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

THATS a verry nice warrior karichey22 sharp.........and heapster god i hate you i looked at the predator before i bought my raptor 350 and i liked mine more but know i see yours thats black and man are those things are bad azz looking awesome quads the one i looked at was grey and i just thought they was ugly but that black makes them look too good . and turbodewski i wish i could help you but i cant but i wish you the best of luck -- good rideing to ya all