Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha belts suck in water what ur opion

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yamaha belts suck it water

who thinks yamaha should design auto atvs with a shaft instead of a belt, i just bought a grizz 4 my self and a kodiak 450 4 my wife and when you pay that much money 4 an atv u expect to be able to take it any where and not have to worry about a fuc**** belt slipping, its happening on both of them yes it under warrenty but that besides the point. my cousins shaft driven honda is 300 better in water than my grizz and kodiak yamaha sould make all their atvs shaft like honda, i just think yamaha can do better than that.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default yamaha belts suck in water what ur opion

I agree but I like the automatics it is easier to ride. The belt is an issue that does need to be dealt with.

Old 11-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: camp
who thinks yamaha should design auto atvs with a shaft instead of a belt, i just bought a grizz 4 my self and a kodiak 450 4 my wife and when you pay that much money 4 an atv u expect to be able to take it any where and not have to worry about a fuc**** belt slipping, its happening on both of them yes it under warrenty but that besides the point. my cousins shaft driven honda is 300 better in water than my grizz and kodiak yamaha sould make all their atvs shaft like honda, i just think yamaha can do better than that.
OK, lots of bad info here.

Shaft drive is the drive, not the transmission. All utility quads are shaft driven, as are most 250 class quads and even the kfx700 sport quad.

The belt is the transmission, not the drive. Arctic cat, kawasaki, polaris, suzuki, yamaha and other companies all use belt drives in their utility atvs. Polaris uses a belt drive in every atv except the predator. Honda uses one of three types of transmissions in their atvs. 1. Auto clutch manual shift, 2. Honda matic mechanical CVT, 3. The rincon's 3 speed automatic trans w/ torque converter. These all have mechanical drives instead of a belt.

Honda is the only major utility atv manufacturer that does not use belt driven cvt transmissions in ther quads. Polaris is the other extreme. The rest have some of both types.

If your cousin's honda 300 is better in water than a grizz and kodiak, it's a rider problem. Keep the belts dry and both of these atvs should outperform the 300.

I could go into the comparison of "belt cvt vs Mechanical cvt vs automatic car trans vs auto clutch manual" but that topic has been covered more times than one might believe.

Old 11-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

Explain how this happened. Did you hit water at a high speed or was it high water? It should not slip every time you encounter water. If it does then something is wrong, such as a bad seal somewhere.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Good info maddog. I ,for myself, think yamaha shouldnt copy Honda. Yamaha has some bad azz utility quads, My grandpa owned a Grizz and that thing would go anywhere u wanted it to go (reasonable here).

Camp have you taken them to the dealer and asked about it? Maybe have them check over it...

Good luck man hope you get this figured out

Old 11-24-2004, 12:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

my belt is just fine in high water until the belt seal got bad, i need to replace it, go one coming very soon, and iam very good friends w/ ur cosin man, hope he gets that honda in one pice soon !

Old 11-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

we were gunna go riding last saturday i belive ? but you had to go to dinner instead lol , hopefuly we can hit thos trails soon

Old 11-24-2004, 01:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

lol are you sure Ian didnt type that , seems like his typing lol

Old 11-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

I have taken my griz through hell and back and never gotten more than a few drops out of the belt drain. I have good tires and it is never necessary to go fast into water and mud. I take it into water up to the bottom of the tank without trouble. If you take it deep enough to drown it without snorkling it first, that is abuse. You should never hit water real hard because it forces water into all kinds of seals and into the snorkles. It is really easy not to get water into the tranny. Learn how to handle your machine. I take mine into some nasty crap and have never had any problems at all. I bet you even go through mud with the throttle pinned and are going to be back here complaining about breaking axels on the griz. When one wheel catches and the others keep going, the fly wheel affect is incredible. If you are wondering how someone can strip the splines out of the drive shaft, that is it.

Old 11-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

so Batman your grizz is snorkled?

Quick Reply: yamaha belts suck in water what ur opion