Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The WAIT is OVER, Raptor is here,

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2000, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The WAIT is OVER, Raptor is here,
I went and paid for mine today it is awesome beyond belief, I rode it but just in the lot my dad is going to trailer it home today because i have a tonneau cover on mY truck and I have to be at work at 3pm.

Where Do I start, It just rocks. It starts easy has a good exhuast note kind of louder and deeper than the 400ex but with a revvier sound. Reverse is simple. But the power is awesome. Though I only was able to use 1st and 2nd in the lot I rode in, I can say it has Big Power. 1st gear pulls hard with tons of torque, and second comes on just fine if you wind up first, It is easy to lug second because you want to go slower than second is pulling you so you kind of try and coast it lugs but recovers with a press of the throttle. First pulls you into light speed and im sure the other gears push you faster. You have to slip the clutch a little to get it rolling I killed it 2 times by not getting the throttle up from a dead start, the reason is that a little more throttle and you will be wheelieing away. So you have to aim for a perfect rpm to launch at, I can get used to this easily in due time. If ever a quad had the powerful torque of a 4 stroke and the mid hit of a 2 stroke this is it. I will launch you off the line and then mid throttle it has a hard power hit like a 2 stroke. Im dying to see a dyno chart, the acceleration peak is going to be huge. The suspension Is aweseome, NO Tippiness at all. There a quite a few small jumps and air is going to be this things niche, it jumps easily and lightly. I describe it as fitting like a blaster, but only one built to the size of a banshee. In that I mean the weight of the motor is unnoticed and the thing launches into the air, and lands plush with out any bottoming or harshness. I weigh 250lb+ and it wasnt even adjusted and felt like a dream. It has not instability but loves to pull wheels up with no effort whatsoever just shifting will pull them. I just keep thinking small feeling, wide stability, light weight and BIG power. It is so awesome. I just cant get over the light feel of it. Im sure I have left out some things but its hard to think and I have to leave for work in a few minutes. So have fun guys, Its awesome.

Old 09-06-2000, 04:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Definately sounds impressive! Congratulations. If it is like the 400ex that I sold, the clutch is a little grabby when new, so the pulling out problem will probably go away before you have to adapt your style.

Old 09-06-2000, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

ok, ok, ok,... I thought by having some of you guys get yours and put out a report, that my patience would be strengthened, NOT!!! It has only made the wait that much worse... Well, I'm glad you guys got them and I can't wait to hear more about them as you put your experiences down for us to read....
What kind of quad did you have prior? Just wondering how the feel compares to the powerband king, the Banshee?

Old 09-06-2000, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

It feels like a four stroke launch with the mid and upper pull of the banshee.
I currently have a Polaris Performance Couch(sport 400modded to about56-60HP) but have had modified banshees and other quads, Its very unique and very powerful. You guys will love it, except that you still have to wait. The guy getting #2 at the dealer, took off of work to come see mine, because they thought I would nab it up immediately with out letting anyone see it. He was pumped also, he looked a little sad when we rolled it back in with a sold sign on it so his wait began to get worse. It will be picked up soon if not already and will be awaiting me to get home from work. To go for a Midnight Run. heheheh

Old 09-06-2000, 05:36 PM
Range Rover

I know how you are feeling! I definatly felt it when I first got my banshee. I didn't get to ride it the night I bought it, and work the next day was the longest ever. And when the day finally did end, I was so ready to go rip around for hours, it started pouring rain out! I couldn't handle another day with the thought of having this machine and not being able to ride it, so I got really wet and muddy!
Now my beloved Banshee is gone, and the wait for my Raptor is getting worse and worse!!!
Do me a favor, and dedicate a wheelie to me!!!

Bandit99
1999 Red/Black Banshee (SOLD)
2001 Raptor (on order)

Old 09-06-2000, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer

I just spoo-ed on my shoe!

I will have the first Raptor in GLAMIS!!

Old 09-06-2000, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

THANKS FOR THE DETAILED DESCRIPTION. I AM CONSIDERING EITHER THE DS650 OR THE RAPTOR. MY FRIEND WORKS AT A YAMAHA DEALER AND THEY MAY HAVE ONE THIS WEEK. SO I'LL GET TO SIT ON IT SOON. I THINK I MAY BE MORE COMFORTABLE THAN I FIRST THOUGHT IF YOU ARE 250+ LBS. AND YOU LIKE IT. I'M ABOUT 225 AND THE DIMENSIONS OF THE RAPTOR MADE ME WONDER. I LIKE BOTH THE DS AND RAPTOR EQUALLY. I REALLY FELT COMFORTABLE ON THE DS AND IF I'M COMFORTABLE ON THE RAPTOR THAT WILL PROBABLY LEAN ME THAT WAY. LATER

DS650 or RAPTOR

Old 09-06-2000, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

BOMB OR YAHA, NO TOUGH CHOICE HERE. CHECK OUT SOME OF THE DS 650 WEB SITES, MAN THEY HAVE A LOT OF PROBLEMS...

Old 09-06-2000, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

You did A nice write up for a parking lot ride. You will ove your raptor I got my raptor friday and have about 15 hours ride time in over the long weekend. for all you banshee riders like I was, it is a easy move over to the raptor you will have to ride it the same. I found the low end to me missing, not a 4stroke bottom on this baby. For the people getting off a 400ex or other 4stroke you will need to change the way you ride. the raptor likes to be run in the mid and upper power bands and is a little hard to keep from stalling unless your good with the cluch in the lower end. I'm droping my gearing to a 12 tooth front and that should make it fit my riding style better. I have for the last 7 years raced banshees in the xc races in missouri and all I have to say is is that the raptor is unreal. I LIKE IT, I REALLY REALLY LIKE IT. I will be glade to let every one know how the long trem riding and racing goes. Thanks

Old 09-06-2000, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the power & clutch action is how ATV Connection described it in their article. The article that everybody said they were wrong in, because Dirt Wheels didn't say the same thing.

Quick Reply: The WAIT is OVER, Raptor is here,